Rem 700 30-06 Springfield Bullet/Load for Mulies and Whitetails?

I would suggest considering the factory loaded Hornady Interbonds in 150 grain. They are designed to open up within 4" and hold together in the 75-80 % range. Most Hornady ammo shoots well and these bullets are deadly on deer sized game. They are also available in 165 but I would use the 150's, faster, flatter, less recoil plus more smack.
The Failsafes are good bullets but they are designed for more penetration - will not mushroom as big and deliver energy as quickly. We killed a bunch of caribou with .30 cal Failsafes and never recovered any bullets - they were deadly at .300 Weatherby velocities.
Bottom line is that deer are not hard to kill relative to some critters. Take out the nervous, respiratory or circulatory systems (heart/lungs) and they die. Most premium bullets are unnecessary on deer, your bullet retains much of its energy as it flies through the critter and hits a rock somewhere.
I have tested virtually all of the bonded bullets (lets call them premium bullets, along with Failsafes and Barnes) and found that the Interbond is the quickest opening of the lot. Plus they are very accurate. The new Accubonds are also pretty quick to expand, but they are much heavier bullets at present.

DeerGrunt

Its been a number of years since I loaded any X bullets. I normally anneal brass and then load 100 rounds or so. That lasts a long time.

I can't get to my loading records right at this time due to some unexpected house remodeling..

Anyway I was using Varget in both 06 and 308. While using 4831 for 300 wtby. In the wtby I can get the boattails to shoot. For the other 2 I had to shoot the flat base bullets. Used the Audette test method and normal load work.

One thing I must say is that since I can trust the bullets performance I'll take a bit less accuracy. All the loads I have with X bullets will hold MOA out to 400 yards. I have not tested past that, even though I have the range to do it on. If they are that accurate thats plenty good for game.

This was pre moly or coated days. In fact I have a number of 308s xs loaded in LC91 match brass so we have a clue as to how old that ammo is.

I have had rifles that will just flat out not shoot the X bullets. One is a rem 22-250 that I really wished would shoot them as its a super deer round down here. But alas it won't even come close to accuracy.

Good luck, Jeff

Thanks for the information. I'm starting to use Varget more and more it seems. I have loads for the 223, 308, and now the 30-06.

Thanks again!

Take a look at the new federal cartridge loadings using Nosler Accu Bonds. The 30-06 should be available in 180 grain by hunting season '04. Federal is one of few factory ammo manufactures that actually load "high energy" for use with bolt guns ONLY! Meaning these are about as hot as your gonna find for factory off the shelf. They will be offering loadings in WSM and RUM this year aswell. Additions will be A-Frames from Swift and the Nosler Accu Bonds that are reported to perform much better than the Swift Sirroco for penetration and weight retention. The 180 Accu Bond might be your all round fuzzy four legger wacker! Hope they offer in "HE" to maximize bullet characteristics...one slick pill

This is one rifle you definitely want to learn to reload with! It's one of the easiest, most versatile, and forgiving rounds you can load for. It's pretty inexpensive to get started with as well. I have an M700 in '06 myself and I use the 168gr Hornady HPBT (moly) with the small whities here in Central Texas on top of 56gr IMR 4831. I have taken 11 deer with this load and I have NEVER had a problem with expansion using this load. It has proven to be the best load for this rifle. Maybe a little overkill for the smaller deer here, but it's HIGHLY effective. All 11 deer were taken with one shot kills at distances of 100yds or greater and the load ALWAYS penetrated completely and expanded as expected. I think it might not be a bad load for elk, but I use my 300 Win Mag for that exclusively. Might try it next year though! Even though you don't reload yet, I think a 165 to 168 grainer would probably serve you well. In the mean time, Winchester has their "Supreme" line loaded with the Nosler 150 and 180 grain Silver Ballistic-Tip in '06 and my cousin has been using those quite a bit with awesome results. Hard to believe that the Nosler is a hunting bullet since it is so accurate. As a matter of fact, I shot his rifle and that is some of the best factory ammo that I have come across in the past 10 or 12 years (in this particular rifle anyways). Good luck in your reloading endeavors if you decide to undertake them! It seems as though everyone I have encountered on this board has been very knowledgeable and willing to help out when it comes to the subject! Once you load your own ammo, you will see how much of a difference it makes and, like me, might not ever go back to factory ammo again! Happy hunting!

TH

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

[ 01-13-2004: Message edited by: Austin ]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.