300rum stock question.

montanaio17

I have the xcr 2 stock it is in camo pattern and has houge grips. Is this a good stock or should I upgrade. Remington 700 300rum. Any advice would be appriciated thanks.

yes--cheap. Anything with an aluminum bedding block would be an upgrade. Heck, even one with just pillars would be better. Look for one with the bedding block, and big enough barrel channel to allow for a floated barrel.

Or, you could glass bed it, and hog out the barrel channel to get a floated barrel and more than likely see improvement.

Last edited:
I agree that these are cheap stocks and it bothers me they have barrel contact and upward pressure near the front. However. I have a few of these and I am amazed at how well these guns shoot with these stocks. It was my intention to replace them, but as good as they shoot I wont replace unless I do another build, then id switch to an hs. Good luck

You asked if your stock should be upgraded. I'd say yes if you can afford it. I think you will end up with a more stable platform and get consistent results. Injection molded stocks are not in the same class as fiberglass or even laminates. If you can afford it get a quality stock like a McMillan you won't regret it.

Besides the need for a stable platform, felt recoil can be subdued by the proper fitting stock. Fiberglass has some flexability during recoil which also helps.

I have a McMillan hunter stock on my 300 RUM and it is quite comfortable to shoot. 200 gr accubonds at 3175 from this 9 pound rifle is very tolerable.

I am not fond of the shape of the remington stocks even their laminates. I had a beautiful LSS 7 RUM that caused a finger knuckle on my right hand to get wacked every time I shot it. The grip was just too short. I was considering restocking but never did as my friend talked me out of it.

Continuing with felt recoil: McMillan makes two stocks specifically designed to handle heavy recoil but you don't hear much about them. The Lazzaroni sporter and Lazzaroni thumbhole were designed by Harry Lawson Co for John Lazzaroni. My friend has the sporter and it has an excellent fit and feel.

It is your choice. The hard part is figuring out which stock. I am lucky I drove to McMillan and handled their stocks. I am sure others can comment on which stocks might suit your needs.

Thanks everyone for the help. I was wondering if any one has tried the grey bull stock. I would like a new stock I just don't have allot of money right now as I just bought a new gun and scope. Thanks and all advice is very helpful.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts