Stock question

Sagedaddy

I am currently piecing together a custom build. I have a #4 bartlein barrel which is the bull sporter contour. I also have a manners mc-sl stock that will work with that contour(manners said they'd happily inlet the barrel channel a bit more so the barrel will fit a bit better). The stock is more of what they call a mountain type stock. So far I really like the way it feels. The grip is not nearly as swept as a standard hunting type stock. It is a bit more vertical and has a nice palm swell that feels really nice. But it does not have a raised comb. I had originally bought the stock for a different purpose. My intent is to build a long range rifle in .300 win mag. My question is, am I starting with the wrong stock for the purpose that the gun is built for? Should I consider a different stock, one with a raised comb and a truly vertical grip? I'm sure it will work but this will probably be a once in a lifetime gun for me. I typically prefer scopes with 40-42 mm objectives but might consider a 50 mm objective for this rifle and I'm worried that I might regret my choice in stocks. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Is it the MSC-SL (super light)? I saw a photo of it and I don't think you will have any issues especially with a number 4 contour barrel. I am not to sure on fitting a 50 mm (with regards to ring hieght) objective but the 40-42mm objectives should work fine, especially if you use the proper scope ring heights. Lastly, it's your custom rifle so if the stock is comfortable and you like it then you should keep it. Comfort is a major factor in successful shooting.

Also if you want a 50 mm objective lens you can try adding an adjustable cheek rest like this on snipers central.

Karsten Adjustable Cheekpiece

Not sure how comfortable you are drilling into a nice stock, but there are also slip on cheek rests that slide right over your butt plate onto the stock. I hope this helps.

Thanks 300 whisper, that puts my mind at ease a bit. I have plenty of time to decide whether I want to go with the 42 mm or 50 mm objective. Yes it is the mcs- sl. It seems like a nice compromise between a hunting style stock and full blown tactical stock. Now I just gotta scrounge up the cash for the action.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts