Stock swap question

GetReel

I have a Christensen ELR 300WM. I wanted a different stock so I bought a McMillian off here (Rem Hunter I think). I had a smith open up the barrel channel and bed the action. He said that with the amount of material he needed to remove it made the forend sides thinner than normal and I probably should have ordered a stock with more room.
It is free floated but when I put some pressure on the fore end (bipod or laying prone) it will touch.
I haven't had a chance to shoot in a long while to test but can that have a negative impact and should I get an appropriate stock ? Or is that little bit nothing to be concerned of?

Well it shouldn't touch, shooting is the only way to know for sure, why not remove a little more material?
I believe the problem is likely that because material was removed, the stock is not as rigid in the forend, as it was not intended for the larger contour barrel the OP is likely using. This causes flex when pressure from a bipod is applied and the barrel then comes in contact with the altered stock. Removing more material won't solve this, but will only introduce new problems and/or exacerbate this one.

Probably need to find a new stock, with a design intended for your barrel contour. But I wouldn't do anything until you take it to the range and get data with how it is set up now.

post some pics if you can. I have heard of people using arrow shafts to stiffen forend not sure how good it works but maybe something to consider

Yes, the stock touching the barrel MAY affect your group size especially as outside temperatures change. Solution besides buying another stock:
1 - move your bipod closer to your trigger and away from the end of the forearm.

2 - add/epoxy/screw a long Piccatiny rail to the bottom of your forearm to stiffen it and mount your bipod to the Piccatiny.

3 - epoxy a long dowel rod to the inside of your forearm if there is enough material to drill a long hole for the dowel.

Last edited:
As others have mentioned, you really need to just shoot it supported and unsupported and see. For best accuracy, the current knowledge says that free floating heavier barrels is optimum. With inconsistent pressure on the barrel, I would worry about POI shift. Now lighter barrels are often bedded the entire length of the stock which I guess helps with barrel harmonics but I am not enough of an expert to speak on that. Doing that in this instance with your heavier barrel probably won't help your groupings, but might make your POI consistent. Otherwise I would say opt for a different stock. If you like the general profile of the McMillan Hunter and just need a R700 BLD cut for your bottom metal, the Proof Research lightweight mountain hunter stocks are phenomenal and lightweight. They are built around using Proof's Sendero profile barrels and should offer plenty of float for a carbon CA barrel.

Last edited:
Yes, the stock touching the barrel MAY affect your group size especially as outside temperatures change. Solution besides buying another stock:
1 - move your bipod closer to your trigger and away from the end of the forearm.

2 - add/epoxy/screw a long Piccatiny rail to the bottom of your forearm to stiffen it and mount your bipod to the Piccatiny.

3 - epoxy a long dowel rod to the inside of your forearm if there is enough material to drill a long hole for the dowel.
A lot of guys are installing an arca plate in the area just forward of the bottom metal, away from the recoil lug. Better rigidity in the stock that way, closer to center of gravity, and both bipod and tripod can be used, with the right adapter.

Because the stock in most cases but not always shouldn't touch the barrel . In my opinion.
Sorry I misinterpreted your comment. I read it as your modification was guaranteed not to touch his barrel. What you meant was to make sure if he installs your modification that it doesn't touch his barrel.

You could always pressure bed it at the fore end and if it doesn't work out, you can sand it out. The epoxy is much cheaper than a new stock and might work out fine. It's pretty simple to do. You won't know until you try it though.