300RUM Loads

dancoman

From what I have gathered here, the 200AB are the bullet of chioce for the 300RUM. Have gone back thru several pages of post(about30) and have not found what I an looking for, Which is Load data for the 200AB. Most have stated that best accuracy is between 3150&3200fps.

Please list your load data: Powder, starting point to max. and were you hit 3150-3200. H-1000,RL25,& Retumbo seem to be the most used and only data from them will be fine.
Both guns we will be working loads up for will be 26'' Rem. One sendero and one CDL.
Thanks,DM

I use 103gr of A8700 for the 200 gr Accubond and get 3200+ fps 26" tube this is a very hot load in my rifle and the brass doesn't last many times start lower and work up please...This is a most accurate load but should be approached with care...Having said this no two barrels react the same your rifle may not stand this load or it may
tolerate a much hotter load but I would still suggest caution when working up any load... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I used 92g of H1000 for 3100fps and great groups. I also used 95g Retumbo for 3225fps and once again great groups. I could go 94g H1000 and get 3200fps, accuracy was still good, but not as good as at 92g. I haven't tried any RL-25. These loads were shot in factory Rem's with 26" tubes, Rem cases, and Fed 215 primers.

Rem case, 92gr RL25, Fed 215M, 200AB, OAL to as long as your magazine on your mod 700 will allow. 3150-3170 fps @ 15 ft. itty bitty 3 shot groups at 100 yd. YMMV work up from well below.

Come on guys, I know there is more 300RUM info out there.
Please include starting powder weights and don't really need max, but would like to know where you hit 3150-3200fps.

Also is there a chart online with this info.
Thanks,DM

From a recent post:

I'd agree with the 'more powder' crowd. I've heard of a few folks that have gone back to high quality scales after using digitals for awhile. To each his own...

Here's what I've found out of the same rifle with some accurizing done to it, but minus the brake.

Retumbo did not do well for me with the 200AB's. Might just be the batch I got, but it seemed like it was quick to see pressure signs. I think I was around 92g and was surprised to see the pressure signs I was seeing. Maybe 3025fps. I was so dissapointed in the pressure signs vs. speed I was getting, I started looking to other combinations.

I did develop a very good load with Retumbo and the 180AB. With the Wyatt's box, I could seat them on the lands and with 96.3g Retubo, I was doing about 3285fps comfortably at about .4 MOA off the bench. I seemed to me that at least the batch of Retumbo I had was better suited to 180's in my rifle.

RL-25 with the 200g A-frame did OK for me. 94.4g at just about 3100fps.

Now I'm working up a load with Hodgdon's US869 and 200AB .010 off the lands--gotta like that Wyatt's box. I'm getting over 3200fps with 109.5g and seeing less pressure signs than I did with Retumbo at 92g. Turned off the high spots on the necks and just neck sizing so far. Off the bench at 100yds I've been in the .3s. This is far better accuracy that I had either with Retumbo or RL-25 and the 200AB.

Again, with the 180 and Retumbo, I did quite quickly find a fine load. But it seems almost like a waste to put a 180 down a 300RUM, so...

--------------------
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. Genesis 1:1

I'm shooting the 220gr SMK with outstanding accuracy, and performance on deer size game. I dont know what your targets are going to be, but for up to deer size animals I dont feel you can go wrong with the 220 pill for long range.

Not trying to hijak the thread but what do you think?
A friend wanted to try some 168 tsx's. I loaded him 10 rounds with 98.5 retumbo and that was well below max according to hogdons' website. Now from the above info it looks like that might actually be a pretty stout load. I have read from others that later lots of retumbo seem hot.
He hasn't shot them yet......what do you guys think....should I "pull down the loads"??

Should be okay. I get higher pressures with the TXS's than conventional gliding metal jacketed bullets but I think you are safe. Just FYI, I ran a test with one of my Ulra's with the 180 Scirocco and loaded them with Retumbo up to 105 before I got measureable case head expansion! The cases can take a lot of pressure. I shoot 102 grains of Retumbo with my 180's without any issues. But I would only work up to that degree with a micrometer and chronograph. I'm sure the 168's will be fine at that load. I read the thread last night also about Retumbo and couldn't beleive what I read about the pressure levels. I know its difficult when loading for others but I would reccomend borrowing their rifle and work up a half a dozen loads in 1 grain increment and verify pressures first hand and you will sleep a lot better.

It sure seems like there is lot's of conflicting data for the Retumbo. I guess Hodgdon isn't any more consistant these days than alot of other powder companies. "MY" particular can ran perfect with published data in my 30-378 Sako.....but powder that varies about 5-6 grains (which is my interpretation of what's going on) seems a little on the "big" side for variation.......unless we are seeing differences in freebore in makes and models of guns.
This reloading stuff can be a bit challenging....sure can't imagine doing it without a chrono!!

Decided to try RL25 first. Mainly because this is the powder I shoot in my 7mmRUM. It looked to be a toss-up between H-1000, Ret. and the RL25.

Will start at 90grs. and work up. Where did yall begain to see presure signs. Want to be around 3150-3200fps MV. From reading here that is somewhere around 92grs. Is this well into the SAFE zone.
Thanks, DM

What would be concidered a max load of RL25 with 200AB.
I know all rifles are differant, so I guess I'm asking a ''Ball Park'' type question here. For those that have done testing with RL25 and 200AB, where would you concider the max cutoff to be. What would be the max (safe) vel. be with RL-25 and 200 AB.
Thanks, DM

I use the ex-bal program to do models on different bullets at different velocitys at my altitude and temp using the BC numbers listed and compared. I am looking for speed and thump out at 1000yds, not that I would actually shoot at game that far except at hogs /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
Anyhow,if you get the Berger 185vld going 3400 which I did with 97gr. of H-1000 you get 1461ft/lb. If you get the 200AB at 3260 which I did with 91.5gr. of RL-25 you get 1521ft/lb. RL-25 was very consistant 3263,3267,3261. However I do not like using this powder for the extreme temp sensitivity characteristics that it has. Retumbo was to hard on primer pockets trying to get respectible velocity.
Now check this out, if you get the Berger 210vld at 3100 which is very easy to do with 91.5gr. of H-1000, or 94gr. of Retumbo you get 1530ft/lb of energy at 1000yds. I would rather stay away from RL-25 and it's quick to pressure and temp sensitivity and be healthy to shoot another day and be satisfied with a Berger 210vld at a modist velocity.
For what it's worth anyhow.
Later Tim

Have had very good luck with RL-25 out of my 7mmRUM.
I would like to stay at a very modist MV with the 200AB.
Somewhere between 3150 and 3200. I loaded 8 at 91.5 and 8 at 92. Hope to get to shoot by the weekend.
I'm not looking for a super sonic round. Just a good elk hunting load.
Still would like to know where most of yall started to see presure signs with RL-25 and 200AB. Include what gun this was from. Mainlly interested in the fac. senderos.
thanks,DM

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.