300prc load development in a time crunch

Dirt_Nap

Drew a bull elk tag in UT that I had no business of drawing! Custom rifle will be done in a few weeks. With traveling for work, I'll have limited time for load development. I usually like to take my time during the process.
Defiant Deviant Action 300prc
24" Proof CF barrel

I have collected the reloading components.
ADG Brass
Berger 215gr hybrid target
H1000
Federal 215

Any pet loads that might get me started, I'd appreciate it

I've been around one all afternoon, let me see if I can find out some details. He was running the exact same components in a new build.
How many rounds do you usually shoot before you call it " broken in"?
He was running Lapua brass but no biggie.

Last edited:
Start 0.020 off lands. Shoot ladder in 0.3 increments from 77-81 grains. Depending on rifle should reach pressure in that 80 range [ejector marks]

Do the ladder test at least 3-400 if you can.

Should find decent group in that 78-79 range or about a grain under pressure.

Fine tune from there.

I will say my rifle hated h1000. I really wanted my rifle to like it but couldn't get it much under one moa.

Loved both RL26 and n570. Easy and fast loads well under 0.5 moa out to 700 and 1000

My go to load is
199 hammers
Adg virgin brass
N570 83 grains
Cci 250
0.020 of lands [ 3.66 in my case]
3180 fps out of 26 inch 9 twist bart.
19 for 19 on animals out to 450 yards so far.

Took it to Africa on short notice without full load workup and ph's were impressed.

Under 500 yards i would consider 199 hammer. If preparing for over 500 stick with 215 berger.

Start 0.020 off lands. Shoot ladder in 0.3 increments from 77-81 grains. Depending on rifle should reach pressure in that 80 range [ejector marks]

Do the ladder test at least 3-400 if you can.

Should find decent group in that 78-79 range or about a grain under pressure.

Fine tune from there.

I will say my rifle hated h1000. I really wanted my rifle to like it but couldn't get it much under one moa.

Loved both RL26 and n570. Easy and fast loads well under 0.5 moa out to 700 and 1000

My go to load is
199 hammers
Adg virgin brass
N570 83 grains
Cci 250
0.020 of lands [ 3.66 in my case]
3180 fps out of 26 inch 9 twist bart.
19 for 19 on animals out to 450 yards so far.

Took it to Africa on short notice without full load workup and ph's were impressed.

Under 500 yards i would consider 199 hammer. If preparing for over 500 stick with 215 berger.
What is the twist of your rifle?

You should hit 3k (2,950 more realistic) easy with 215's using 570 and possibly 568. LRT should be next as speed goes and 26 running in 3rd, but might be 2nd in accuracy? Not sure if anyone has had luck with 7828ssc in this cartridge, but should be good?

I'd rather not. I have a good month but just not as much time as I normally have. First 300prc so I'm starting fresh
A month should be PLENTY of time to develop a load. Follow the cartridge guide from LRO

Idk about you but if I drew an UT elk tag that I had "no business of drawing" I would be making sure that my load is the best that it can be and that can't be done by following someone else's load. Take the time to do the load workup and find out what your rifle likes.

A month should be PLENTY of time to develop a load. Follow the cartridge guide from LRO

Idk about you but if I drew an UT elk tag that I had "no business of drawing" I would be making sure that my load is the best that it can be and that can't be done by following someone else's load. Take the time to do the load workup and find out what your rifle likes.
I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure he is looking for load data not what you would do.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty sure he is looking for load data not what you would do.
Lol I know exactly what he is looking for - I am just saying to be cautious of using someones load because each rifle is different. If you are going to use the components to test someone elses load to see if it works in your rifle - why not take the time to do a quick OCW test and seating depth test? Especially for a once in a lifetime tag - even if someone's load works in your rifle - who is to say it is a stable load?

Just offering some friendly advice from a fellow hunter that wants him to be successful.