300AX first Impresions

I wish. I wanted to set a feeder just 300 yards away and everyone at came was whining about how far that is and that they can shoot that far. Telling them they don't have to hunt that spot didn't go over well.

I wish. I wanted to set a feeder just 300 yards away and everyone at came was whining about how far that is and that they can shoot that far. Telling them they don't have to hunt that spot didn't go over well.

I've heard the same thing here in Missouri. I shot a buck at 716y and the farmer whose corn field I shot it in literally didn't believe me. My buddy and spotter vouched for me but he still didn't buy it! I'm originally from Colorado - 300y is a chip shot.

I've heard the same thing here in Missouri. I shot a buck at 716y and the farmer whose corn field I shot it in literally didn't believe me. My buddy and spotter vouched for me but he still didn't buy it! I'm originally from Colorado - 300y is a chip shot.

Agreed, but most everyone I hunt with thinks anything beyond 180 is far. It's like they underestimate the capabilities of modern rifles and ammunition. That's like the time I did target practice on a rock about 8in in diameter at 530 with my factory m700 rifle in 7mm Remington and ammo yet the rifle agreed with that ammo very well. I made 3 hits in a row and they were in disbelief that someone could make hits at that range.

I worked up to 105 grains of rl33 and was almost at 3300 but lost some accuracy so I back down. The gun just plain shoots and it's just a hair behind my 338 lapua in stats

Wow! 5,700ft lbs out of a 30 cal ridiculous.Ifdidn't need the rifle to be shorter and lighter I would have gone with a 30-32in barrel.

A little update, I shot a .189ctc 3 shot group yesterday at 100 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.