300AX and aoudad

TXAoudadKlr

Sunday evening I leveled one of my biggest aoudad to date possibly my biggest yet but I need to check.

My dad, uncle, grandpa and family friend Todd went out to the ranch to do some work and bird n aoudad hunting.

We arrived Friday night. Saturday morning I did see anything but wasn't too surprised. after the hunt we put feed in most of the feeders but still had a few to finish when the time to go hunt came about. Saturday evening I visited a different spot which was slow as well but atleast I got to see something. Had a doe and two cull bucks come out but that was it.

Sunday morning I was back to what we call the ambush blind. This was a much more exciting hunt. First light I had a decent size axis buck show up for an hour or so as well as 6 white tail does and another cull buck. Towards the end of this hunt the axis buck left for some time then came back and walked towards my stand. He ended up coming within 5-7 yards of my stands location before walking off into the brush.

Sunday evening was very slow! I had one doe come to feed and picked up on three more about 400 yards out on the canyon side looking like they were coming to feed but never did. Some time later while glassing that same canyon side in the bottom of my binos I picked up a very large Ram that was coming in hot. I got my gun's buttstock pressed in to my shoulder and was on the binos trying to find him. I soon picked him up behind a cedar tree by the doe that was hanging out feeding but all I could see was his head. He was facing away I thought about sending the round through the base of the skull but opted not to as all he would have had to do was take a few steps the the right and he'd give me the shot I wanted. Between swapping from looking through my scope to getting back on my binos he had move. I checked the feeder expecting him to be standing by it but he wasn't back on the gun I went I picked him back up way to the right 170 yards out and walking next to a cedar bush 170 yards out.I flipped the safety off tracked him centering on his shoulder and let the round loose. Through the scope I watched him fall right where he was. I cycled the bolt and got right on the spot were he had dropped incase he decided to be stubborn and stand back up like some have in the past! after about 5-7 minutes I climbed down with my 458 socom in hand. Matter a short walk I closed in on the bush negotiatited the rocks and Spanish daggers and there he was. Right where he was when I shot. Using my hand span I estimated him to be about 27 inches. Back at camp his measurement was 28.25 and 27. His body was massive. It took three of us to lift him up into the ranger.

I'm very pleased with my 300AX. Wasn't the distance I was wanting but that's how it goes. Round entered right where I was aiming center of the shoulder. He was quartering away so it exited in front of the far side shoulder.

Here's the picture(s)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258.2 KB · Views: 42
Great looking ram. Looking at his bases he was probably about maxed out so you picked the right one.

From your story I'm guessing the bullet exited there on the left side so considering it looks like less than a 1" exit wound I'd say you got excellent bullet performance as well especially considering it was still smoking at that range.

Congrats!

Great looking ram. Looking at his bases he was probably about maxed out so you picked the right one.

From your story I'm guessing the bullet exited there on the left side so considering it looks like less than a 1" exit wound I'd say you got excellent bullet performance as well especially considering it was still smoking at that range.

Congrats!

Bases are close to 16 I'd have to measure but I could barely get both my hands around the base.

Entrance was a perfect 30cal hole exit wasn't what I expected it to be, exit like you guessed it was less than 1". I was expecting a nearly 2" exit. Quite surprised there was very many minimal meat damage.

Very nice, always look forward to your aoudad posts. Thanks again.

Have to be honest the this aoudad will make for a very nice addition to my collection but being out there this past weekend has me pretty pumped up for Deer season now. Especially after looking a trail cam photo's and seeing some promising bucks while on the hunt for aoudad.

Very cool. I hope to find a place around San Antonio to chase some Audad that doesn't charge and arm and a liver. :)

Just curious, how's the meat compared to deer or axis?

It courser grained, flavor is right there with whitetail. It just requires a little more of a pounding with the meat tenderizer if your doing something like chicken frying it. Makes good breakfast sausage when mixed with some pork. When ground up also makes going d taco meat too!

But I think a lot of it has to do where they are killed. Then ones I've killed are free range but they like to hang around and eat from the corn and protein feeders. I believe a lot of the stories of them tasting nasty is because they were likely killed out in the middle of nowhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.