First Whitetail

Defiance7mm

Took my first whitetail this evening. Was using a Seekins Havak PH2 in 6.5 PRC. Shooting the 131 Hammers at 3170. He was quarting towards me pretty good. Shouldn't have held any wind, hit him a bit back. But from 580 yards the Hammers dropped him where he stood.

Attachments

• 20211102_173728.jpg
    20211102_173728.jpg
    845.5 KB · Views: 633
  • 20211102_173719.jpg
    20211102_173719.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 627
  • 20211102_173658.jpg
    20211102_173658.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 630
Congrats! That's a heck of a deer, such unique antlers, how thick they are. As the previous poster stated, "mass for days". All the more remarkable for a "first deer". You may take a higher scoring one some day but this one is just plain DIFFERENT. Gonna be hard to top…that's the upside if you're first deer is a spike buck (mine when I was 14), easy to outdo yourself! But you're starting out with the bar set pretty high…this might be like anniversaries, you do something really nice and extravagant for the first year and think it's a good idea…only to find that this makes all subsequent anniversaries disappointing!!!🤣.

All kidding and stupidity aside, congratulations, and thanks for the details on shot placement and terminal performance too, we always wanna know those details…how far back did you hit him? It's crazy that he'd drop right there from a less than ideal hit at that range. Did you happen to hit the liver? Reason I ask is that happened to me once, didn't follow through on a slowly moving deer moving slightly downhill, absolutely blew up the liver, the buck staggered about 5 paces and piled up. Learned something.

Congrats! That's a heck of a deer, such unique antlers, how thick they are. As the previous poster stated, "mass for days". All the more remarkable for a "first deer". You may take a higher scoring one some day but this one is just plain DIFFERENT. Gonna be hard to top…that's the upside if you're first deer is a spike buck (mine when I was 14), easy to outdo yourself! But you're starting out with the bar set pretty high…this might be like anniversaries, you do something really nice and extravagant for the first year and think it's a good idea…only to find that this makes all subsequent anniversaries disappointing!!!🤣.

All kidding and stupidity aside, congratulations, and thanks for the details on shot placement and terminal performance too, we always wanna know those details…how far back did you hit him? It's crazy that he'd drop right there from a less than ideal hit at that range. Did you happen to hit the liver? Reason I ask is that happened to me once, didn't follow through on a slowly moving deer moving slightly downhill, absolutely blew up the liver, the buck staggered about 5 paces and piled up. Learned something.
I totally agree with you. Going to be a hard buck to beat. I've never really hunted deer in my 45 years of life. Always chased elk with limited success. My wife and I gave up our jobs in the city to move out to her family's ranch in south eastern Colorado and start a family. So I decided to hunt whitetail this year so I could stay home and help with the kids. Plus I've never really had the opportunity to hunt a whitetail, so I seized it. I have small trespass hunting business and have seen quite a few antelope and deer taken now so I wanted to see what I could do.

As far as the hit, he was quarting towards me pretty good. The bullet went in left side right behind the ribs and exit right hip area. One of the peddles of the bullet must have hit spine.... lost a bit of a tenderloin, grrr. Definitely not ideal but didn't chase him and he died fast. Definitely shouldn't have held any wind.