3006 for long range

jeff 300

what would be the max range for a 06 on whitetail,mule deer size critters. the rifle has a 27" ss barrel on it and i was thinking of shooting 165-180gr bullets.

What is the bc of the bullts that you will be shooting and at what velocity,what accuracy,these factors would affect maximun range.

Good bullets in that weight range should be good to a 1000 yards on deer, personally I would limit myself to 800.

Thats if the rifle load and shooter are tunned up for accuracy.

I use a 165gr boat-tail for long range shooting. I have shot Caribou out to 700 yards. Average shots are 400 yards. I shoot wolves 500 and 600 yards a lot with my 30-06, usually can't get any closer. Our wolves are the size of an Eastern Whitetail doe.

[ QUOTE ]
shoot wolves 500 and 600 yards a lot with my 30-06, usually can't get any closer. Our wolves are the size of an Eastern Whitetail doe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Welcome to the hood.

Keep on those wolves.

Great Info, I am building a medium gun out of my 30-06. The preliminary calc's I've done show approx. 77" of drop at 700 yds. With a 168gr VLD. Still in the build and haven't shot any rounds down range yet.

Brian Anchorage, Alaska

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.