300 wsm?

joko111

Looking to take my 6.5 creed barrel off of my proof rifle and come up with some sort of shirt action magnum, I want to run a 20-22 inch barrel with a supressor… I want to be able to take elk out to 5/600 yds and deer out to 7-800

I'd like to be able to use factory ammo as well, let me know if this is a good pick for my intended use, open to other suggestions as well

It'll certainly do those goals, and definitely has more factory options than the gamut of other short action magnums. Well the 300 short mag was my first cartridge love, and probably the cartridge I have if I could only have one gun. Modern bullets are getting so good maybe a smaller bore higher bc short action magnum is worthwhile, although definitely limited on factory options.

300 WSM ammo is expensive and hard to find. Like up to $5 a round expensive.
Since you're not handloading, I would look at the 6.5 PRC using Berger ammo with 156 Gr EOL bullets. Way less expensive to shoot and excellent ammo available for it too.

The factory options are a little limited for longer range applications, as far as I know the only real options are the Norma Bondstrike and the Federal Terminal ascent. When you find one you like I would stack it deep, 300 wsm has been hit and miss on availability the last few years.

I think the 300 WSM would be a fine choice, especially if elk are on the table
If running bdl type bottom metal, you could install s wyatt's box and gain a little length, slightly improving performance. ( Although I'm uncertain of its compatibility with your action.)

Last edited:
300 WSM ammo is expensive and hard to find. Like up to $5 a round expensive.
Since you're not handloading, I would look at the 6.5 PRC using Berger ammo with 156 Gr EOL bullets. Way less expensive to shoot and excellent ammo available for it too.
300 WSM ammo is easily found with NUMEROUS choices. From plinking rounds to super high quality choices. Probably more choices than the 65PRC.