300 WSM

Berger only mades one 215 grain bullet and as far as being good for hunting. My experience is they are great. If you do a search on here you will find a fair amount of info. Good luck and be safe.
I see several replies like this and it makes me CRAZY!
Just WHICH Berger bullet are you using? There are several.
I have a bunch of the 210 VLDs ca 2009 with no other designation.
How suited are these to hunting use in my LSG Rem/Douglass 300 WSM using 60 grns H4350. What I have are Winchester cases, carefully sorted by weight (after fire-forming and trimming, of course).

Similar to Daves762 - I shoot a 20" 300WSM with a 178 ELDx and RL16. I can get 2920fps without any trouble. With the Manners Compact Stock I have it makes a really nice compact rifle to pack in on a backpack hunt. But a very capable combination at 700-800 yds for hunting. I have not shot any game past 500 yds with it, but would be confident in that shot if needed based on the target work I've done.

I thank those who have responded to my post. Some interesting stuff.
AND I'm puzzled than none have addressed my posted question regarding use of my specific Berger VLD bullets (ca 2009) in the 300 WSM using H4350.

I currently own 3 - 300WSM rifles, have sold two others.

With 75mm magazines/Win/Sako my best allround load has always been 180grs Accubond/Scirocco in front of IMR7828SSC 68,5-69grs at about 2900f/s. Shoots out of my rifles about 1"@300.

Thumper load for Moose/Bear are 200 Partition with 67,5-68 at 2850-2870 with similar accuracy.

I'm not much of a LR hunter, I limit my shots on game to 500 and within those limits I have little need for fragile bullets.

If People use factory ammo, buy Federal Trophy Bonded Tip 180 - they shoot awfully well and shows speeds I'm unable to replicate with available bottled powders.

In one of my late 300's 180 TSX in front of Norma Mrp, 68 grs was just at 2950 with less than 1/2moa out to and beyond 300y

180 accubond with imr 4831 w/LR primers was the sweet spot my buddies 300 wsm. Really think heavier is beyond what the wsm was designed for. That's why the 300 wm has the advantage with the heavies.
180 accubond is a great all around bullet.

I thank those who have responded to my post. Some interesting stuff.
AND I'm puzzled than none have addressed my posted question regarding use of my specific Berger VLD bullets (ca 2009) in the 300 WSM using H4350.
I answered with 185 Berger Juganauts I wait H4831sc however H4350 is another great option. You never replied with what action and mag length because that is a huge contributing factor.

I answered with 185 Berger Juganauts I wait H4831sc however H4350 is another great option. You never replied with what action and mag length because that is a huge contributing factor.

Rem 700 short action built by LSG Manufacturing in Comanche, Texas. Frank Smith built rifles for DFW area swat teams for many years. Tube has machined in place break with 24 or 26 in total length.

I'm building a Tikka LA 300wsm, 23" hells canyon summit barrel, Mesa altitude stock, will have a ti brake, should be 6.2# or so. Will be my do everything inside 800 rifle. Will be throated to run 190-215gr bullets from a 1:9.5 twist. Magazine will allow 3.38 coal so I'll be able to get max performance out of the case.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.