300 WSM - To brake or not to brake?

M Jager

I am getting ready to send an action off to get re-barreled. Heavy 28 inch barrel twisted for running the heavies loaded single shot. Can't decide if I want to add a brake or not. Opinions would be welcome.

Use would be LR practice and Hunting. Not planning on running it in competition so I won't be shooting lots of rounds in a short amount of time with it.

100% yes! for me it's all about spotting my shots. I am pretty good with recoil but even my smaller 6.5's that don't need it at all I like brakes because I can shoot and see my hits down range while hunting or shooting paper.
gun)

I've shot the WSM and SAUM w/o breaks. I prefer the break. I have had a WSM with the break and it was comfortable to sit on the bench for dozens of rounds.

If you've got the cash you might as well. Also do you shoot more from the bench or from prone? I only shoot laying down and I feel its much easier to obsorb and control recoil. I shoot a 338 RUM at max load without a brake. I'm not a big guy either at 175 lbs. My rifle weighs 15 pounds and I dont have issues seeing my impacts past 300 yards and I don't find the recoil uncomfortable. If I could find a cure for the shooting bug I'd send it off and have a brake put on it. But for the time being I can deal with the recoil and just keep gun)

If you shoot better with a brake or want to spot your shots do it. I always shoot better with a brake so all my rifles have them. Then again I roll my own so it makes that decision easier.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.