to brake or not to brake a .308

rdsii64

I got into a discussion on another forum about using a muzzle brake on a .308. At the beginning of that discussion my mind set was just hold'em and squeeze'em and that a brake was not needed on such a light recoiling gun.

Toward the end of that discussion my eyes were opened a bit and I learned that controlling recoil is not the only reason one might consider putting a muzzle brake on a gun. The most common reason during this discussion was controlling muzzle jump and staying on target for follow up shots.

Now I am considering putting a muzzle brake on my thunder stick for just those reasons (even though its a pussycat as far as recoil is concerned.)

Since we all know there is no free lunch, how much more noise am I going to have to deal with and is the amount of added control and the amount of reduced muzzle jump worth the added noise and muzzle blast I get in return.

I think it is worth it. I feel it makes me a better shooter I can shoot more rounds in one trip to the range with out developing a flinch. I also like to see my hits throughthe scope it helps if I dont have a spoter that day.

You will need hering protection with the break though.

why not put a silencer on it. will cut down the recoil, sound, speed up the round a little, dampen barrel vibration and often make the rifle more accurate. here in nz we can get them made as over barrel suppresors thet only extend the length of the berrel but a few inches and only add 300 grams to the weight of the rifle.

why not put a silencer on it. will cut down the recoil, sound, speed up the round a little, dampen barrel vibration and often make the rifle more accurate. here in nz we can get them made as over barrel suppresors thet only extend the length of the berrel but a few inches and only add 300 grams to the weight of the rifle.
In California, those are illegal

Brake it. One advised do not use the Vise Brake (the one with holes all around) Lots of dust and you will not be able to spot your own shots.
Use the DE Brake, (3 holes on top, and 3 holes left and 3 holes right)
Noise is not an issue using a earplugs (20-30db noise reduction) and you can talk with them on.
I use a DE Muzllebrake on my 338 Edge rifle and I love it.
I can spot ALL MY SHOTS. This is the reason why a put a brake. and I DO NOT REGRET IT AT ALL.

just do it.

If it doesnt beat me black and blue I always pass on the brake. The concussion hurts my shooting more than the recoil.

I use a VAIS brake on my .308 ,no going back .
Certainly lets you follow through with the shot.Just make sure your spotter is wearing cans !

SWALI

I use a VAIS brake on my .308 ,no going back .
Certainly lets you follow through with the shot.Just make sure your spotter is wearing cans !

SWALI

Yep, Yep, I'm using the Vais Brake as well. Great reduction on recoil (My .308 feels like a .223 or less)- although if you are prone and close to the dirt using a 6" bi-pod, then you will find dust kicking back up at you from the holes in the bottom of the brake. Obviously depends on the environment/terrain you are lying on, but up here pretty much every where is dust! Just something to consider...

Cheers.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.