To brake or not to brake???

Do any of you guys have or know someone that has a bp tech by va comp muzzle brake? I own one but haven't got it tuned like the manuf says yet. I am considering rebareling and I don't know if I want to use it or go with another. I have shot it on my current barrel and it does reduce recoil considerably but in its "untuned state" it causes the but of the gun to kick you in the jaw (painful for a pansy like me). Anyway, I didn't know if it is worth trying after rebareling or not. I don't want to waste time if it is junk. Oh yeah it is not supposed to make the gun any louder. In my opinion it seems to be true. I didn't notice it making it louder but I always wear plugs anyway.

The recoil is not that bad in my opinion. I dont have my 300 RUM braked, its a Rem LSS. Weighs probly 8.5-9 lbs with everything. I use to shoot it off the bench with a towel. Another thing one might use is a 25lb shot bag. I have a Lead Sled now, so the bench does not bother me. I shoot a lot prone though and it really doesn't bother me, I only weigh 145 lbs. I have always seemed to shoot mine considerably well for such a big rifle and being a factory, that I dont think a brake would help any.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.