300 WSM throat depth???

I took some comparative measurements of these two Nosler bullets that may help others in a similar circumstance to mine.

200 Accubond:
bullet oal ~ 1.485" (per Nosler)
base to ogive ~ 0.084"
boat tail length ~ 0.115"

210 Accubond LR:
bullet oal ~ 1.570" (per Nosler)
base to ogive ~ 0.090"
boat tail length ~ 0.290"

Interestingly, it appears to me that throating for the 200 AB will provide ample throat for the 210 AB LR due to the 200 exhibiting longer bearing surface when boat tail : bearing surface junction is seated at the case neck : shoulder junction. In the first image the base of the 200 is ~ 0.145" off the micrometer.

View attachment 340886View attachment 340887
Looks like the BTO is pretty close so go with the longer one to move the bullet up, out of the powder as much as possible. One thing I have found with the ABLR in 6.5mm and 7mm has been they seem to shoot great with a big jump, ie. 0.100ish inch. Not sure why they like such a jump, but it followed in 2 separate cartridges for me.

Looks like the BTO is pretty close so go with the longer one to move the bullet up, out of the powder as much as possible. One thing I have found with the ABLR in 6.5mm and 7mm has been they seem to shoot great with a big jump, ie. 0.100ish inch. Not sure why they like such a jump, but it followed in 2 separate cartridges for me.
Thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking the LR would like a long jump.

I've been thinking about starting load development at around 0.060" jump and progressing toward .100"+ if needed. Do you have an opinion on that?

Thanks for sharing your experience. I was thinking the LR would like a long jump.

I've been thinking about starting load development at around 0.060" jump and progressing toward .100"+ if needed. Do you have an opinion on that?
I guess these days it depends on how your component supply is. I might shoot a powder ladder a smaller powder ladder up near the max trying to find that top node, then start seating tests. I guess you could shoot like 60, 70, 80,90, 100 looking at trends. Then focus in on the ones that look promising. If you use 1 shot per powder ladder step and 3 shots groups you might get these test done in 25 shots, 10 for you ladder then 15 for seating. That's not too bad.

My experience with ABLR versus AB leads me to believe it will be really difficult to set jump for the ABLR AND AB's since the bullets USUALLY prefer radically different jumps. Every rifle I shot AB's liked 0.010 - 0.025 jump while ABLR's were more like a leap! There was a pretty good thread on ABLR's that I posted this up in another thread some time ago.

My load development with ABLR's starts at SAAMI then lengthening and usually ends up slightly longer than SAAMI but always pretty good jump.

I would set the throat for the AB that we KNOW shoots pretty good with short jump and ABLR's tend to like jump.

I set a throat for a new build for one specific bullet knowing any other bullet would require tuning since prob not able to set for close jump. It was gamble and I am pleased with results.

My experience with ABLR versus AB leads me to believe it will be really difficult to set jump for the ABLR AND AB's since the bullets USUALLY prefer radically different jumps. Every rifle I shot AB's liked 0.010 - 0.025 jump while ABLR's were more like a leap! There was a pretty good thread on ABLR's that I posted this up in another thread some time ago.

My load development with ABLR's starts at SAAMI then lengthening and usually ends up slightly longer than SAAMI but always pretty good jump.

I would set the throat for the AB that we KNOW shoots pretty good with short jump and ABLR's tend to like jump.

I set a throat for a new build for one specific bullet knowing any other bullet would require tuning since prob not able to set for close jump. It was gamble and I am pleased with results.
Thanks. Your experience with AB's is vastly different from mine. But I only shoot 150 gr in a Steyr 30-06 and they are < 0.3 moa at 300 yd with 0.074" jump. The Steyr did not do near that well seated in the 0.020 to 0.055 range. Really tightened up above 0.060. It has shot 180 factory ammo to 0.75 moa since 1999.

Mileage will always vary!😂 Your comment is spot on why it is so tough to set throat before you shoot a bullet in a specific barrel. Basically a finger cross endeavor but seems to work out more than not.

Last edited: