300 WSM Throat Or The Bullet?

baldhunter

I just bought a 300 WSM.I chose a Hornady 165gr flat base bullet to work up a load for it.The COL shows to be 2.840-2.900.This bullet touches the lands @ 2.820,so I seated it @ 2.810.The deep seating of the bullet also has me reducing the powder charge.I worked up a couple of loads using IMR-4350 and Winchester WXR.I took it up to 66.5gr with the IMR-4350 before I started getting a sticky bolt and backed down to 65.0grs as my load for it.With the Win.WXR,I went up to 71.0grs and backed down to 69.0grs as my choice load.I haven't had a chance to get back to the range to chronograph my velocities yet to see what I came up with,but it seems like it's either the bullet I chose or this rifle has an awfully short throat.It does however seem to shoot quite well.

sounds like your rifle does have a short throat. YOu should be able to seat 180 gr boat tails without problems in a wsm, but If it shoots great... whats the problem? :)

Finally got back out to the range this morning and set up my chronograph to test my loads.The 69.0grs of Winchester WXR tested out to be the same as Reloader-22.69.0grs of each powder gave me 3023-3016fps velocities.The 65.0sgr of IMR-4350 gave me nearly the same velocities @ 3003-2989fps.All loads were using a 165gr Hornady Interlock solid base bullet.All loads seemed to group well but the 4350 loads shot 2" higher and 2" to the left of the WXR and Reloader-22 loads.I think if I could have seated the bullet out another .050,I may have been able to get a little more powder and maybe 50-100 fps more out of it,but I can live with what I got.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.