.300 wsm or .308?

gremcat

So guys I am retiring the model 70 7rm to the gun closet and getting either a savage weather warrior braked model in .300 wsm or a 12 fv or similar in .308 main purpose is deer,hog,occassional black bear.With hopes of someday shooting antelope and other critters at long distances(500 yds or so )Most of the hunting I do now is thick eastern forest either here in eastern nc or back home in the adirondacks.I have a 12 fv in .223 for plinking so not concerned with that .Though the .308 would also be a great plinking caliber.I don't currently reload but want to start.Also might just be able to talk my uncle out of a custom sako 338 win mag with a 6something -20 leupold varx 3 .He offerd it to me years ago for $1000 with the scope .He won it in a raffle I should have been all over it but even if I get it i am still interested in the .308 or .300 wsm.Anybody shoot .300 wsm?What kind of accuracy can I expect from factory ammo?:confused:

Also leaning towards a bushnell 4200 6-24 X 50 for this rifle I have a leupold varix2 4-12X50 on the .223 that is currently getting bedded to a b and c stock and target turrets installed on it .

I shoot the 300 wsm, but never factory. It is too expensive for premium rounds. If you intend to shoot mostly factory rds, then 308 is the way to go. It is a little bit slow for long range antelope, but it will definately do the trick. Many people shoot the 308 in 600 and 1000 ranges, and it is tried and true. The WSM design is very good, but like I said, their is limited match grade (if any) factory ammo available. Also, I think the WSM's barrel life is going to be about 1/3 or less of the 308, with considerable more recoil. Don't get me wrong, I love my WSM, and it is definatley a better long range round -- ya just have to decide what your prioraties are. Handloading is a very good thing to get into if you shoot alot.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.