300 win or 300 wsm?

You cant go wrong with either one. Both are awesome cartriges. Before the WSM's came out the 300win was my hands down favorite allround any purpose cartrige.
I own a 270wsm (you already know that) and I am a HUGE WSM fan. For me, now-a-days, Id opt for the 300wsm over the 300win due to 2 simple reasons. Short action with magnum performance. and NO BELT on the WSMcase. Ya, I know you can headspace off the shoulder, but why go thru the extra steps to work around a belt (that shouldnt even be there anyway), and fireform brass, and reduce more barrel life so you can start load development? I dont shoot 210's even in my 300wby.(another needlessly belted cartrige) I have a 338 to launch heavier bullets. Id let my 300wby go in a heartbeat for a 300WSM. Why put up with severe overbore, and shorter barrel life and extra cost of loading supplies when the 300wsm will do anything I would need?
Like you Ive pondered long and hard over which 30 cal mag to get next.
If I wanted overbore Id go for 300 Rum (no dang belted case there) and If I wanted a magnum 30 for all round general purpose I would go 300WSM. Im a 30 cal lover, and you realy cant go wrong with most any 30 cal from 308win and up. Its all a matter of personal preferance and loading techniques, combined with intended use.
Good luck and either one would be a great addition to a well rounded collection of proven 30 cal mags.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.