300 WSM Norma Brass - excessive growth!!

Elkslayer1

I have a 300 wsm and shooting a 190 vld. It shoots sub moa and I have no pressure signs ( no hard bolt lift, primer problems, case markings etc )

After each time I shoot, these cases expand after sizing to over the max length recommended for the cartridge. I have to resize and cut the brass back after one session of shooting.

Can anyone tell me what might be the pproblem?

I reload for many other calibers and have never seen this problem

Thanks,

What is your pre-fire trim (ie. .010) under?? You may have a chamber that is a bit on the long side and have to set your dies a bit long.
I get around .003" growth per firing on bigger cases.

Elk- If you are getting the Max length measurement from your reloading book that is just a generic number just like the OAL. Every chamber is different and you can measure yours to find out the actual lengths. That sure seems like a lot of unneeded trimming.

Also is this FL or Neck size and how are you setting up your die?

I am using Redding dies and full length sizing. Also using 59 grains of H4350 with the 190 VLD.

These cases are long after just one shot and before I full length size. I am trimming them to the .010 under each time.

I am using Redding dies and full length sizing. Also using 59 grains of H4350 with the 190 VLD.

These cases are long after just one shot and before I full length size. I am trimming them to the .010 under each time.
It really sounds like a rather big chamber combined with fl sizing fully. Crank your die out to the point it just bumps the shoulder a bit and try it again. Smoke your case shoulder with a wood match after lubing to check for this. If it's anything like my my 7stw it will fix the issue. I went from .012 growth to .003 growth doing that.

Thank you....I will try that!!!!
Cool

Remember though, if you are running two or more rifles you will now need to have a set of dies just for this rifle; ammo too. The brass may not chamber in a tight chambered rifle if sized long for a looser chamber. Small price to pay for better brass life and accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.