270 WSM Norma Brass

Denny2277

Hey, after having trouble again with weak Winchester primer pockets I took the plunge and order 150 cases today. Do any of you have any experience using this brass in 270 WSM? What's the case capacity compared to the Winchesters. What can I expect the difference in load charge weights? Is there anything I should look for with the Norma brass. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I have considerable experience with .270 WSM cases. Both as the parent for 6.5 WSM and as native .270 WSM application. I notice little difference between Winchester and Norma brass in volume. I have bought 3 different runs of Norma and two of Winchester. I like Nosler brass best. They are Norma cases sorted for weight.

I have Norma cases that have been annealed twice and at least 20 firings.

I have had to discard cases because of loose primer pockets too. I think it is your pressures (have you calibrated your scale recently?). I am guilty of running the "ragged edge".

I like 140 gr .270 Berger and Nosler AB over MagPro with magnum primers. This combination is 80 fps faster than other powders I have tried. I have tried SuperPerformance, Retumbo, Alliant 4000MR, R-22, R-25, VV N-560, VV N-165, Ramshot Magnum, Win 780. I have not tried H-1000 or H-4831.

I have considerable experience with .270 WSM cases. Both as the parent for 6.5 WSM and as native .270 WSM application. I notice little difference between Winchester and Norma brass in volume. I have bought 3 different runs of Norma and two of Winchester. I like Nosler brass best. They are Norma cases sorted for weight.

I have Norma cases that have been annealed twice and at least 20 firings.

I have had to discard cases because of loose primer pockets too. I think it is your pressures (have you calibrated your scale recently?). I am guilty of running the "ragged edge".

I like 140 gr .270 Berger and Nosler AB over MagPro with magnum primers. This combination is 80 fps faster than other powders I have tried. I have tried SuperPerformance, Retumbo, Alliant 4000MR, R-22, R-25, VV N-560, VV N-165, Ramshot Magnum, Win 780. I have not tried H-1000 or H-4831.
I hear what you are saying about the MagPro. I got my best groups so far with it. Between 67.5 and 68 grains I have found a sweet spot(half inch groups). I had primer blow by with 69grains of Retumbo. I only had one do this with the 270 WSM brass but I had a similar problem with Winchester 308 brass. I changed to Nosler and Lapua brass with Federal 210M primers and that cured the problem. I looked at the Nosler brass in 270 WSM but could not stomach 60+ dollars for 25 cases. With your experience with the Norma brass, will I need to tweak my load with the MagPro?

Last edited:
You got 210Ms to ignite MagPro? I found I got too much spread.

I think you can use your load in the Norma brass. For me the Nosler brass is worth the sorting. Can you imagine .1 grain between them? Some guys don't even have a scale any better than that. Anneal the Norma cases.

I use the 210's with my 308. I'm using WLRM's with my short mag. I'd like to get some 215's for it though.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.