270 WSM Brass Brand?

choprzrul

I'm going to build a 270 WSM for my son and I'm contemplating which brand of brass to use. I'm hoping to get 3800 fps out of a 116gr Absolute Hammer....but that may be over optimistic?

Nosler
Norma
Winchester
Federal
Hornady
?

I have 100 pieces of unfired (factory ammo pulldown due to light powder charges) Nosler brass located for $175.

Norma still advertises 270 WSM, but finding it is proving impossible.

I can get Winchester brass on GunBroker.....or loaded Winchester ammo that would make fire forming easy :)

So....which brand should I go with/concentrate on finding? If I anneal each reloading cycle, what kind of brass life should I expect?

I would buy 300 wsm from ADG and size the neck down if you're after best available quality. They're otherwise dimensionally identical.

If you want headstamped brass I think the best currently available option is Bertram.

What BillNye said above. If you need correct headstamp I'd go Bertram. I was using it necked up to 300 WSM and really liked it. I was able to get ADG, so I switched, but if I run out if ADG and can't get anymore I'll go back to Bertram.

I would buy 300 wsm from ADG and size the neck down if you're after best available quality. They're otherwise dimensionally identical.

If you want headstamped brass I think the best currently available option is Bertram.
Just to confirm......you are saying the Bertram brass is better than the Nosler? I'm not arguing, just seeking info.

Nosler brass is very uniform but is very soft. Nosler primer pockets last about 3-4 firings at the same velocities I get 10 firings out of ADG/Bertram.

Edit: for reference the load is 2960 fps with a 180 Hammer. Not even particularly hot

Norma does nominally produce 270 WSM brass. I haven't seen it in stock in a few years and haven't used it. Someone else may be able to chime in

The basic ButterBean Hammer load development is to increase powder until finding pressure and then back off a grain.

Given the above, which of my brass choices will provide the most longevity?

My first 270 wsm barrel started at 26 and we tested 85 grains to 160s (back then the normal range). Barrel ran a smidgen faster than both nosler and Barnes data, no spectacular but 25/30 fps. We used the Barnes data for the 85 e tip as well as whatever 85 mpg or tsx they had at the time. Think we did the adage for rl 17 of using 4350 plus about a grain for an estimated max. (At the time very little rl 17 data was out). The Barnes never cleared 3900, but the e tip di at 4400 but not closer to sea level.

Never got the 100 grain accubond over 3750 and the 110 had a had to pushed very hard to hit the mid 36s. 3800 even with the mythical hammer bullets would be a stretch unless your adding tube length over 26 inches.

I've taken a couple wsms over book, albeit minimally chasing a node that was just barely over with 4831sc and 4350. They seem to hide traditional pressure signs everywhere but the primer pockets.

As to brass, about 10 years ago a friend who worked at a range would collect left behind range brass and save ones that would work for me. I ended up with a little over 300 pieces from everyone,

Norma was good but batch size was small so could be skewered.
Nosler was 50/50 had 40 pieces and half survived and half lost primer pockets

Remaining several hundred were 70/30 winchester and federal. The winchester needed lots of trimming and turning but held up ok, lost a lot of necks around 5 until I started annealing the annealed went 8-9, before being called.

The fc seemed like ok brass, but primer pockets appeared to be made out of butter. After smoking the first 50 in 2-3 firings. I dedicated the rest to hunting loads for situations where I'm likely to not recover brass.

My current crop is worked over winchester that was bought from midway on a clearance sale in late 19. I'll convert adg if it ever becomes more common than unicorn steaks.