300 wsm LR mountain rifle

Broadside at 100 yards or a little less. One behind the shoulder that froze him. 2 high shoulder and then in the brisket. Found one at 50%. The one through the lungs a hole the size of your little finger and a bruise in the lungs the size of a ping pong ball. Not impressed at all. a 200 partition would have mushed them. Opening too fast and a small frontal.

Broadside at 100 yards or a little less. One behind the shoulder that froze him. 2 high shoulder and then in the brisket. Found one at 50%. The one through the lungs a hole the size of your little finger and a bruise in the lungs the size of a ping pong ball. Not impressed at all. a 200 partition would have mushed them. Opening too fast and a small frontal.
On the same hunt I let my buddy use my 350 rem mag with a 250 partition going 2670. about the same distance. quartering away. Bullet took the top of the heart off. Looked like you took it off with a cross cut saw and broke the opposite shoulder. Bull reared up and fell over and done.

I live and hunt in Wyoming, and 'mountain' can range from visibility for miles above 8,000 feet to 10 feet if you are in deep timber. Will you be self- or guided? Bottom line - if you are going from sea level it will be hard to train for hiking up our hills carrying 30 pounds...you just cannot replicate the altitude. That said, when I was younger I carried a factory Remington 721 in .270. I then went to Remington 'mountain rifle', still in .270 because it was lighter. Then I discovered 6.5 Creedmoor and killed deer, antelope and an elk with it so far. BUT it is HEAVY loaded with optics etc.
My personal recommendation is based on about 25 elk killed with the .270 out to 315 yards (that is a long shot for me on elk - I try to get closer - closest was 15 yards after they stood back up from being BLOWN OVER OFF THEIR FEET by the wind. I know, nobody will believe that but my buddy and I who were laying there, and about 5 guys who couldn't see us but saw the elk from about half a mile away). And I have never shot anything other than 130 grain Winchester factory ammo. I've reloaded for this rifle and tried 8 bullets and 8 powders at all kinds of loads, and settled on Nosler Partitions and Accubonds.
THAT said, a good friend and his brothers hunt hard (they are still young) and shoot the 6.5 PRC with Hornady ELD-M 147 grain bullets. Yes, you read that correctly - ELD-M. They all killed elk at over 700 yards last season.
People tend to think elk are elephants and need an 'elephant gun' and bullets of huge weights and magnum rifles. Don't get me wrong - I've seen what an elk can do if not shot properly and that means from a good rest at a good distance. You have to hit them right. And this is key - if you hit one and it goes down, do not celebrate or look away - reload and get back on that animal right away. Be ready to shoot again.

I think this berger madness started with deer hunters. Doesn,t take much to kill a deer. A big bull elk is a different creature. It takes deep penetration with bone smashing controlled expansion bullets. Bison, moose, bears. More of the same. Our great game animals deserve better. Unless you are a sadist that enjoys watching wolves eating an animal while it is still alive.
David, I totally agree with you. Along with shot placement, I believe appropriate bullet selection is paramount. I load multiple bullets in my different rifles for this specific reason. Although, I do feel Hammer bullets are a perfect all around hunting bullet, and they are my go to hunting bullet. Nathan Foster out of NZ has done a lot of research on bullet performance and terminal effects. Look up his website, ballisticstudies.com for a good read and great info.

David, I totally agree with you. Along with shot placement, I believe appropriate bullet selection is paramount. I load multiple bullets in my different rifles for this specific reason. Although, I do feel Hammer bullets are a perfect all around hunting bullet, and they are my go to hunting bullet. Nathan Foster out of NZ has done a lot of research on bullet performance and terminal effects. Look up his website, ballisticstudies.com for a good read and great info.
EXACTLY. I have just gotten to know about the hammers. I saw some photos on here yesterday. My God. I have never seen damage like that. A small pig shot with a 6.5 124. It tore the whole shoulder off and then forward into the skull. It looked like the wedge you get when chopping down a tree with an axe. Everything in that wedge was just gone. Another was a bull elk shot with a 180 size 30 if I remember correct. Exit hole was bigger than a golf ball right through the shoulder. Hard to argue with that.

I started out as a kid with a 25/06 right after Remington introduced it. We had the lethe turned noslers then. I started with 100,s but not enough penetration. Then I went to the 115 spitzers. THAT made a rifle out of it. Deer slayer deluxe out to 400. It got a little tired after that. Those principles are still with me today. Long heavy well constructed bullets kill.

I am hoping to make the group elk hunt in the next few years and trying to prepare. Never shot an elk but know I need a well constructed bullet. I am wanting at least 190 gr but have heard a lot about those lighter hammer Bullets. I am sitting on a factory Remington 700 short action 300 wsm. It will be getting a match barrel probably criterion from NSS as I have had great accuracy with all of my builds. I would prefer to keep it blind mag and I am thinking a AG composite stock. They let me stop by the shop and tour the facility last year and handled all the models. Anyway I am more concerned and interested to see what everyone's recommends on barrel length, twist and bullet selection. I want to keep it balanced but not too long. I have not hunted the mountain much and can only imagine. It is fairly flat here on the florida and Alabama line. So this will be the elk gun. It will be threaded and most likely have a break on this hunt. It will be equipped with the TBAC 30 back home for those bean field white tails

Thanks

Buck

Here are my pictures of the recovered Hornady 140 grain ELD-M and 143 grain ELD-X shot from 6.5 Creedmoor's at 600 yards into 50 gallon plastic barrels. Each plate shows the remains of two ELD-M's shot into one barrel, and two ELD-X's shot into a different barrel. The barrels were full to the top with bung hole caps in place. Each came off the ground about 4 inches at impact. There was virtually no weight loss as the bullets did not touch the back side of the barrel and the entire remains were recovered. You might see bits of white plastic - that is part of the barrel from cutting the barrel open.
20190801_104208.jpg
20190801_104224.jpg

My old 300 wsm mountain gun was a 22" 10 twist shooting 208 amax (now eld-m) at 2825 fps with H4350. Thing was a hammer! It killed quite a few mulies and elk from 100 yards to 600 and never needed more than one shot.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts