300 wsm LR mountain rifle

I shoot a lot of deer at home sometimes 30 or more a year. Hogs are a little different animal and I have not shot any at a distance of more than 200 yards. I get to see lots of results. I have shot both types of bullets and agree hard bullets always work. I typically shoot more frangible ones at home because our deer are small, thin and soft. I can shoot just about anything. I shoot ballistic tips a lot especially at distance for better expansion at slower speeds. I am sure whatever bullet I choose it will be effective on elk. I am more concerned about building a very accurate gun around a bullets that feed reliability without starting over several times. I am feeding off all of the experience here and greatly appreciate the input. I have several guns that will kill an elk but I am wanting to build a rifle more specific to task. I have settled on the wsm and with adl or bdl bottom metal. I may have to give up bullet weight to make it short enough to feed reliably.

thanks

buck
Buck have you already built the rifle? And I assume a Remington short action?

I am hoping to make the group elk hunt in the next few years and trying to prepare. Never shot an elk but know I need a well constructed bullet. I am wanting at least 190 gr but have heard a lot about those lighter hammer Bullets. I am sitting on a factory Remington 700 short action 300 wsm. It will be getting a match barrel probably criterion from NSS as I have had great accuracy with all of my builds. I would prefer to keep it blind mag and I am thinking a AG composite stock. They let me stop by the shop and tour the facility last year and handled all the models. Anyway I am more concerned and interested to see what everyone's recommends on barrel length, twist and bullet selection. I want to keep it balanced but not too long. I have not hunted the mountain much and can only imagine. It is fairly flat here on the florida and Alabama line. So this will be the elk gun. It will be threaded and most likely have a break on this hunt. It will be equipped with the TBAC 30 back home for those bean field white tails

Thanks

Buck
Do you know where you want to go for ur elk hunt?

Buck have you already built the rifle? And I assume a Remington short action?

No I have not. I am nailed down some things but I am still sorting things out. I have a short action Remington but have not ruled out a long action for the longer seating depths. I think I will weigh a few rifles tomorrow to see where I would like to be on that as well.

thanks

buck

Look at the 180 or 200gr Woodleigh. Shorter and awesome bullets
A wyatt,s box will get you to 3 inches. Use the short mag version with a remington saum follower and I am sure you can throat the chamber longer. Woodleighs , N Partitions, The tipped federal tb. All great bullets that will work well in your application

So...it isn't about hunting with what will kill our game effectively....so much as it IS about how much we LOVE to build our rifles like kids build with Legos.....:D:D:D:D
( I am guilty of this as much as anyone...)

Truth is - more Elk have been killed with the old 30-06 and the .270 than all other calibers.
But us hunters have more confidence in.."the new any shiny thing" that we create - in order to take the game:rolleyes::D. Just reflecting on my own large sums of money I have spent - and I don't regret it. You may feel the same way. My only input - Make your build one that can be good at more than JUST an Elk gun for the mountains. Ex: in my way of thinking....I went with .300 WM. Why? ...Yes there are slightly shorter cartridges....Yes there are more modern ballistically efficient ones....BUT...for a .30 csl. - it is cheap to shoot, and anywhere in the world - you can find ammo. The .30 family is proven. And the .300 WM is a standard that is most often used as a yardstick that others compare to. Says something....

I am hoping to make the group elk hunt in the next few years and trying to prepare. Never shot an elk but know I need a well constructed bullet. I am wanting at least 190 gr but have heard a lot about those lighter hammer Bullets. I am sitting on a factory Remington 700 short action 300 wsm. It will be getting a match barrel probably criterion from NSS as I have had great accuracy with all of my builds. I would prefer to keep it blind mag and I am thinking a AG composite stock. They let me stop by the shop and tour the facility last year and handled all the models. Anyway I am more concerned and interested to see what everyone's recommends on barrel length, twist and bullet selection. I want to keep it balanced but not too long. I have not hunted the mountain much and can only imagine. It is fairly flat here on the florida and Alabama line. So this will be the elk gun. It will be threaded and most likely have a break on this hunt. It will be equipped with the TBAC 30 back home for those bean field white tails

Thanks

Buck

Here is a 300WSM built for the owner of Core Elite Ops.
24" proof (26" to 28" for unsuppressed)
1:10 will shoot most anything. This one was built to shoot 180-220 grains Suppressed. (We also build them in 9.4:1 for heavies)
Timney Calvin elite.
Q chassis.
CEO Ultra lite medium action. (Our action on this one)
Brake depends on use.

I know many people like traditional stocks on their hunting rifles. We find the options on a chassis to be far more user friendly. They easily adjust LOP for everything from heavy clothing to a T-Shirt. Compact length.
@ 9.4 lbs scoped with in line stock, recoil is negligible.

We also build this in 300PRC with a 22" barrel 9.4:1 but must be suppressed. (This is what spec ops are shooting)

Attachments

• 3CE18976-5F15-4782-AC62-10A903F98CF6.jpeg
    3CE18976-5F15-4782-AC62-10A903F98CF6.jpeg
    970.6 KB · Views: 185
  • 32DF070B-F8A6-4731-9E02-9738531911DD.jpeg
    32DF070B-F8A6-4731-9E02-9738531911DD.jpeg
    267 KB · Views: 245
  • 6B23DA2D-889C-4BB9-8226-C712A52D3CEA.jpeg
    6B23DA2D-889C-4BB9-8226-C712A52D3CEA.jpeg
    266.6 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.