most practical mountain rifle?Sako 85 caliber...270 WSM?

Not chambered for a 7mm, but I sure do like my Sako 75 Finnlight in 300WSM that I recently picked up. Only about 6.5 pounds with 24" barrel, short bolt throw and DBM...about 7.5-8 [est.] pounds all up with Sako Optilock rings and Leupold 4.5-14x40mm scope. Wish it had faster than 1-11" twist, but I flattened an elk this year with 180 Fed TBT. Should also serve as a bear deterrent in this caliber. I did not have time for much load development, but a mild charge of H4350 was keeping groups plenty accurate at 300 yards (furthest my range goes). I'd like to work up a higher velocity load and perhaps see if I can fit a 200 grain bullet over the winter. I installed a Limbsaver recoil pad and found after 30 rounds on the bench I was not sore or flinching, so it's tolerable without a brake. Only thing I don't like about this rifle is weak ejection...so cycle it like you mean it! I absolutely love the factory stock contour, and my understanding is that McMillan makes an aftermarket clone.

This is a late post,
I think the 270 wsm is a fabulous round that often gets over looked .
As gas as bullets I personally like the 140 s in Berger classic hunter or VLD
Nosler accubond, I have lost nothing with these bullets shooting as close as 50 yards out to 630 yards . I use 71 gn retumbo and that puts me 3245 FPS with a 24 inch pipe . Just killed a 490lb hog with one shot at over 500 yards ,DRT The Berger Classic folded him up fast . Matter of fact the fastest kill I have ever made on a boar hog shooting them in the shoulder.

Get a barrel with a 1:9 or 1:8 twist in a 270 wsm and shoot the Berger 170 EOL bullet and you will be able to hunt any size game

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.