Light Mountain Rifle Caliber

I felt the 130s were the best performers in the 260. The claimed BCs run as high as .571 for the Scirrocco and several others in the mid .5 range. The 130 can be pushed 100-150 fps faster the 140s and outrun them in trajectory and match them in wind drift out to 500+ yards.

I never tried anything over 100 due to where i hunt and was going to use this gun 100 yard shot would be long. Also with the 181/2" barrel i didnt think i could get the velocity out of the larger bullets.
mike

I just read an article on snipercentral.com, where he did a comparison on 139 and 123 Lapua Senars. He seemed to be very impressed with the 123grn if you could keep or exceed the 2900fps mark. If you used the 139's 2800+ mark was preffered.

I also looked for availibilty in factory options. Not getting much in the way of rifles available. Everybody has the 7-08. Looks like I will have to barrel a Mod 7 that I sold to my dad for another project. Have to buy back and rebarrel. I think a 24" should be sufficient in a #4 or 5 contour. I don't want super thin barrel, but not to heavy. Any idea on barrel contour?

Tank

I tend to overthink things too. I really wanted a LH Sav in 260 or 7mm-08. I rarely buy anything new and in eshopping for a LH rifle I couldnt find those two calibres, so I then thot I could find a 25-06. My firend in Medicine Hat is a big 25-06 guy and was really selling that cal to me. Well since LH used 25-06s are scarce and the few out there are overpriced( some dealers think EVERY gun have for sale is a collector item ), I stumbled on the 270 I mentioned earlier. I ruminated on it for weeks before committing. So now I shop for the 2-7x36 BDC scope to put on it.

Good luck on your decisions.

Yep... know that feeling very well. Took me for ever to settle on a scope. I was sold on 30mm tubes until I could not find one in my price range or of good enough quality. I ended up getting a Nikon Buckmaster and now own 2 of them. I have the 4.5-14X40 w/SF and Mil-dot and the 6-18X40 w/SF and target dot. Both very good scopes IMHO. Good price also.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.