300 wsm LR mountain rifle

killed a few elk and oryx with several different combinations. In the old days it was a .30-06 with 150 grain silvertips .A .270 using 130 grain Nosler BT and a .264 win mag using 120 Nosler BT took multiples of each species.A .338 win mag shooting Speer 200 grain and a .375 H&H shooting 270 grain Hornady accounted for a fair number.Lately it has been my ML shooting 300 grain bullets at 2250 fps max range of a kill has been 315 yards with the ML.The point is they are all dead and don't have a clue what bullet took them down.Hit them through the lungs and they will die. Take a rifle you can shoot and shoot at a yardage you can handle and practice with it and you will do fine!

Gentlemen thanks for all the experience and the information. I would really like to keep this bdl so looks like it may need a long action to give availability to play with seating depth.

Thanks

Buck
I shoot a Win Mod 70, .300 WSM. Action and barrel have been bedded, Gentry muzzle break installed and trigger adjusted to 2.5 lb. I am shooting the new Federal Edge LTR 200 gr bullet. I shot a cow at 570 yds in 2018, and a bull at 500 yds last year. Both elk dropped within 10 yds. The terminal performance of this bullet is outstanding. The bullets exit wound is around 2", leaving a blood trail if needed. I get <MOA accuracy with both factory and handloads. My reload is 63.2 gr of RL16, primer CCI mag, velocity is 2830 fps, OAL 2.860,

Gentlemen thanks for all the experience and the information. I would really like to keep this bdl so looks like it may need a long action to give availability to play with seating depth.

Thanks

Buck
I shoot a Win Mod 70, .300 WSM. Action and barrel have been bedded, Gentry muzzle break installed and trigger adjusted to 2.5 lb. I am shooting the new Federal Edge LTR 200 gr bullet. I shot a cow at 570 yds in 2018, and a bull at 500 yds last year. Both elk dropped within 10 yds. The terminal performance of this bullet is outstanding. The bullets exit wound is around 2", leaving a blood trail if needed. I get <MOA accuracy with both factory and handloads. My reload is 63.2 gr of RL16, primer CCI mag, velocity is 2830 fps, OAL 2.860.

I shoot a Win Mod 70, .300 WSM. Action and barrel have been bedded, Gentry muzzle break installed and trigger adjusted to 2.5 lb. I am shooting the new Federal Edge LTR 200 gr bullet. I shot a cow at 570 yds in 2018, and a bull at 500 yds last year. Both elk dropped within 10 yds. The terminal performance of this bullet is outstanding. The bullets exit wound is around 2", leaving a blood trail if needed. I get <MOA accuracy with both factory and handloads. My reload is 63.2 gr of RL16, primer CCI mag, velocity is 2830 fps, OAL 2.860.

Hey bull is that model 70 a short or long action

Thanks

Buck

I got a stock abolt as a job perk.So light I packed it alot muley hunting,thats it in my avatar.200NAB,325wsm.My son shot few bears,me too,muley.Shot a 6by on last day with it one season 500+,sitting into a tree.7-6oz w/4-14 Leo Shot a ID bull,son shot one 540yrd
elk MF.JPG

Hey bull is that model 70 a short or long action

Thanks

Buck
It's a short action Buck, that's why the cartridge OAL is 2.860. That doesn't seem to affect the performance. I tried to go to 64 gr of RL16, but pressure signs started showing up, and the groups got bigger. My barrel is the standard "pencil" barrel and heats up rapidly, but I have shot .4 three shot groups from a cool barrel. Not bad from an off the shelf rifle.

I have a left hand Savage 16 300wsm on the way. Used to have a right hand 116 wm. Hoping the one on the way shoots as good as my old one.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.