300 WSM feed from magazine

Bob58

I've heard that some of the 300 WSM bolt rifles have trouble reliably feeding from the magazine. Is this just rumor? Does anyone have any experience with 300 WSM rifles that do feed reliably from the magazine? I have a friend who wants to purchase one (preferably a Savage), and I told him I would ask on Long Range Hunting.

Any advice?

Thanks.

Bob59

Bob

All of the WSMs and WSSMs can give you problems holding
more than two rounds in the magazine if it is a staggered
mag type.

The reason is that with the smaller actions the rails are narrow
to allow the round to feed up through them and the round wants
to pop out if more than 2 rounds are placed in the magazine.

The cure for this is to go to a center feed like the watts magazine
box and a flat follower That can be adjusted to fit the round.

Weatherby does the same for there largest cases.

But the WSMs and WSSMs dont normaly give you trouble if you load 2
in the mag and 1 in the tube.(Not recomended unless you are
in position and ready to shoot) .

J E CUSTOM

I was concerned about feeding also, bought a howa in 300 wsm, holds 3 in the mag and no problems.

winfield ks

Bob

I have just bought a Sako 85 in .300 WSM and have no problems whatsoever. I have tried cycling the action slowly and quickly - it doesn't matter. The mag holds 4 rounds by the way.

It is flawless.

I have a Tikka sing stack that holds 3 in the mag and one in the tube, no feeding problems. I'd probably be a little more concerned if I was hunting dangerous game however. The savage only holds 2 in the magazing (just keep that in mind).

I have a Browning A-bolt 300 WSM and I do NOT have any feed problems.

Mike Alford

my savage 12fvss feeds fine, ive had it 6 months and have never had a feeding problem. got about 250rnds through it. now...loading the mag is a true PITA. u really gotta push down hard to get the rounds in. its a center feed type btw. i had hoped it would smooth out w a few rnds through it, but no luck. lookin for a mod or fix now

i wouldnt buy another one, i know that. it shouldnt be this difficult. get what u pay for i guess...

that said everything else about the rifles wonderful. it shoots great, and isnt picky about ammo

lear

I have a Remington model 700 SPS 270 WSM. It is accurate as heck but I have had feed issues. Remington sent at no charge a new spring and follower and much of the issue has been resolved. It still does not feel as smooth as I would like when chambering a round and I may have a local gunsmith take a look. I have not had additional jams but because it still feels like something is binding I believe it still needs work. I have really started to like this round and I also like the gun but the feed issue was a sour note in other wise a great rifle. Dano

I have a Savage 11 FCNS and have had zero feeding issues. It has the detachable box magazine so it's easy to carry an additional loaded magazine.

Bob

Big bump needed here.

I'm trying to figure out which mags to use for my future 7mm WSM build. I'm looking at either 300WM or 338LM (must be long action).

I'm wondering if the 300WM magazine is wide enough for the WSM body. Also, does anyone know if the 338LM mag is too wide? Would the mag lips need modifying?

Thanks!
Kevin

Big bump needed here.

I'm trying to figure out which mags to use for my future 7mm WSM build. I'm looking at either 300WM or 338LM (must be long action).

I'm wondering if the 300WM magazine is wide enough for the WSM body. Also, does anyone know if the 338LM mag is too wide? Would the mag lips need modifying?

Thanks!
Kevin
Shouldn't be a problem due to the fact that the WSM's are exactly the same diameter as the belt on the the casing. The Lapua would also work w/o issue.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.