300 WSM case issue

duecker

I ran about 200 300 WSM through the full lenght RCBS die then tried to run each case through the gun.....about 1/2 have no issue the other 1/2 the bolt won't close or is very difficult....length is fine.....what is the problem? Brass are from HSM, some federal and some winchester....did not seem to matter which is which.....did try two different 300 WSM to test cases........also what are your thoughts on H380....seemed to group good today with some test loads.....thanks

Last edited:
As Chris said, I would check the setting on the die. You need you have the ram cam over after the shell holder contacts the bottom of the die to be properly set. Also, H380 is a bit too fast for the 300 WSM unless you are running 125's. Id look at H4831SC and the like instead.

Also if u fired them in different guns, you might have "fire formed" them to that guns chamber. I did this with my STWs and didn't figure it out till I was hunting.

Run the ram all the way up and then screw the die in until it makes contact with the shell holder. Next lower the ram and then screw the die down an 1/8th of a turn. Resize the brass. There should be little to no resistance when closing the bolt. If there is, adjust the die down a little more and rerun the brass. Keep doing this until it chambers correctly.

If the brass is once fired, sometimes new brass won't form completely to the chamber hence the reason why it might be doing what you're experiencing during the resizing operation. I've had the same problem with my 6.5-284. The second time around when I fired them, they all blew out to a nice fit of the chamber. Then I set the die accordingly. Hope this helps! :)

It is one of about 3 things. A too deep or too large in diameter sizing die? Is the die adjusted properly in the press for full length sizing? Check neck compression, and how much expanding ball moves the metal in the neck. How is inter neck lubrication done and enough. Is the die resizing the case properly, Then the expander ball stretching the neck and collapsing the shoulder and changing the length and angle of the shoulder. Good Luck in finding a solution.

I have also seen this several times with a die being reamed too deep AND if you adjust for cam over, you bump the shoulder back too far and it actually bulges the shoulder junction with the body out far enough it will not chamber.

Start the die about 1/4 off the shellholder and come down 1/4 turn at a time until it chambers.

If it will not chamber after that, then it is too short and you have to use the Redding competition shellholders that are up to .010 shorter than standard shellholders and allow another .010 bump or have about .015-.020 cut off the bottom of the die.

Additional info.....we have shot this brass out of five different 300 WSM's.....tried adjusting as stated above with luck, only bad luck though as I got a case stuck in the die....ordered a competition die last night......now we shot through two rifles last weekend some factory brass.....tried to run the brass that came from the Christensen Arms 300 WSM and it will not cycle at all in my rem model 7 or my son's custom NW Action built gun.....this brass was not sized yet (due to stuck case) but was interested to see if it would cycle.....factory loads cycle great in all five......I have loaded a fair amount in the past and have made about every mistake possible but I am perplexed on this one.....ready to spend a butt load on factory HSM, which shots great out of all my 300 WSM's and call it quits for reloading this! thanks!

I've got another idea. If half the brass is sizing properly and the other half is too large the issue may not be the sizing die at all. I have had the same issue with 300wsm. In my case the brass seemed to have work hardened after the first firing. The loads were moderately warm. Most of the brass would take shape after fl sizing. Some would not. I could tell when I sized them because the expander wouldn't give resistance when extracting the case. Meaning the neck would spring back out.
In my experience the answer is to Anneal.

duecker, Are you checking just the resized case in your rifle chamber or loaded ammo? If you are having trouble with loaded shells, If you are using a crimping seating die you may have the seating die screwed down to far into the press and the hitting the crimping shoulder in the die with cases just a few thousands to long for the die as adjusted. If the neck contacts the crimp excessively it will put a bulge right where the shoulder angle from the neck meets the case body. Especially if the bullet used does not have a canulure for the case to crimp into. Back the die out about a turn and readjust the seating stem will cure this. Good Luck in finding the problem and the cure.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.