.300 WSM AI ?

Skip the WSM family alreday has a very low body tape and a pretty sharp shoulder (35 deg I think) so I don't know if their would be any benifit. I know that the 308 vs the 308 improved has alomost no differances and tyhe 308 has more body taper and a lighter shoulder angle than the WSM's so if anything the 308 would benifit more from the AI treatment than a wsm would.

I would agree with JDJones on this one. Like the 308 family and to an even more closely compared example, the 284 family of rounds, you will not get much over what the parent case will get you.

The money required on custom dies, reamers and such would not be worth the extra 50 fps of velocity and that would be a gracious amount of velocity gain to expect in my opinion.

You would get just as much benefit from a properly designed, tight throated chamber in 300 WSM. Keep the body specs tight to the case, keep the neck snug and the throat no more then 1/2 thou over bullet diameter. Throat angle should also be in the 1-30-00 range or less for top velocity potential.

Just my opinion.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
Skip

Kirby is right. 3 of us are running 300 WSMs with 210 VLDs at 2950-3050 out of 30" tubes.

BH

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow thats some impressive figures, Im thinking of making a .300 WSM varminter and Im wondering what size action you used?
I have a Sako L691 that could be a candidate?

cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.