300 WSM - 200 gr ELD-X RL-17?

Muddyboots

Has anyone tried this powder with the 200 ELDX? Hornady shows 2950 fps (24" barrel) with RL-17 which kind of surprised me. Alliant doesn't show the 200 ELDX nor any other 200 grain with RL-17 in the 300 WSM.

For what it is worth, I put together a load for a 300 WSM with 230 gr Berger Match Hybrid using RL-17. OAL was to fit the Browning A-bolt with Boss. Mag length restriction of 2.8" (joke was that the base of bullet was sitting on primer flashhole. It may sound strange but it worked and is accurate.

61 gr of RL17 2735 fps

Work up load carefully!

For what it is worth, I put together a load for a 300 WSM with 230 gr Berger Match Hybrid using RL-17. OAL was to fit the Browning A-bolt with Boss. Mag length restriction of 2.8" (joke was that the base of bullet was sitting on primer flashhole. It may sound strange but it worked and is accurate.

61 gr of RL17 2735 fps

Work up load carefully!

:eek: a 230 hybrid over 2700 in a 2.8" wsm :eek:

Seating these longer bullets can compress crush extruded powder which always makes me wonder about burn rate change, pressure changes or spikes, larger ES and SD. So my question is back to AZ and TexSavage is Did you see any of those issues when seating these longer bullets? I waiting for my AICS mag to arrive tomorrow that is 2.95 COAL so I am thinking to try the 200 ELDX and get it to 0.010 off lands.
Thanks for feedback.

Muddyboots, from the few rounds I have pulled bullets on, I have not, at least nothing obvious. To date I have shot about 450 rounds of 215s. I think the SC, Short Cut, has helped with the compressed/crushed issue if there was one. I'll pull a few and really look closely at the grain conditions. I can say that I have just pushed my COAL back to allow for use in an AICS compatible magazine so that should possibly show any crushed grains of powder. So far my POI, accuracy, and muzzle velocity have not been affected. Nor have I seen any signs of a pressure issue. I have about 11 hand loads on all most of my cases plus their original factory loading and my newer cases have 3 to 4 loadings. I have not yet done the bottom metal on my 12BVSS as my stock will need to be inletted.

My AICS 300WSM mag arrives tomorrow so I will load to meet the COAL of it which was stated to be 2.95 which is huge improvement over the internal mag before I switched to Magpul stock. I will post up of how they 200's seated etc. Thanks again.
Muddy

I'm finding a hard time selecting Alliant powders since the RL17-22 seem to overlap to some extent, other than using published loads.

I have read on several occasions to use H4350 load data for RL-17 as their burn rates are very similar. Naturally work up to max charges....

Tagging in on this. I've been scouring the Internet for a good load using 17 and the 200 ELDx. I've got several pounds of 17 and a couple hundred ELDx's. Also have a couple pounds of 26 I was going to try first? If I get around to either I'll let y'all know.

Tagging in on this. I've been scouring the Internet for a good load using 17 and the 200 ELDx. I've got several pounds of 17 and a couple hundred ELDx's. Also have a couple pounds of 26 I was going to try first? If I get around to either I'll let y'all know.

62.8 gr RL-17, 2.855" COAL, Nosler brass, WLRM primer. 2952 fps and one ragged hole!! It's Thor's Hammer on elk

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.