300 WM neck thickness?????

Firearrow

Just got my Sinclair Neck turning stuff. Using RWS brass and most vary from .0115 to .014 on average. I Was advised to only clean up 80% of the neck thickness. So I planed on turning to .0125.

So the question is .0125 to thin for a 300WM? Should I stay at .013? Open to all advise.

Are you turning your necks to fit the chamber, or just to get them uniform?
Even my match grade chambers don't get neck turned brass, only my tight neck chambers get it, and even then I try to find a brand that only requires the absolute minimum cut to clean up and fit.
If you have a factory rifle and chamber, you may be introducing too much neck clearance by turning necks. .006" is absolute maximum for good accuracy when talking neck clearance, .003" is minimum for proper function. If it has a factory chamber, I would measure fired case necks and determine how much clearance is present before I cut any necks. Too much neck clearance is worse than not turning at all.

Cheers.
lightbulb

It's a Brux barrel , and my gunsmith said he uses a no turn reamer. I was just trying to clean up the necks. He was the one that stated he always cleans up the necks, 80% clean up.

Funny thing is now that I turned a few necks I noticed all my cases have a donut. I've read that turning the necks so tht they just touch the shoulders can "help" get ride of the donut. Any opinion 'a on this statement, or getting a inside reamer to ream it out? Was looking at the Wilson reamer.

.014" sounds great. That's right where my Norma brass is. I've used a K&M tool with carbide cutting pilot to remove donuts and it works great. I'm not sure if that pilot is compatible with other neck turners or not. Too much shoulder bump when sizing will make donut problems worse.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.