300 wm dies

barrycuda

I want to start reloading 300 WM for hunting purposes. What dies do you guys recommend for a starter? I have never reloaded belted cartridges. Thanks.
Barry

Redding FL Sizing with expander ball removed then run a mandrel for neck tension and pick up there micro seater.
Pointy Sticks - I use a Redding FL sizing die with expander ball removed and then re-install it and push the case up over the ball. Please explain to me how the mandrel works and how you use it. Thanks,

Pointy Sticks - I use a Redding FL sizing die with expander ball removed and then re-install it and push the case up over the ball. Please explain to me how the mandrel works and how you use it. Thanks,

Basically what your doing but instead of messing with taking the expander ball on and off I just switch dies to a mandrel. It allows me to fl resize all my brass when I have time to mess with it and I can store them that way till I am ready to load then I just run them through the mandrel to set neck tension and load.

Mandrel are to set neck tension, and push uneven portions of the neck to the outside of the neck. You are going down the rabbit hole. I am in process of changing out all my FL sizing dies to Redding FL Bushing dies. You may want to get a neck turning equipment to turn the necks. The bushing dies will come in to help that, by being able to get different bushing sizes.
Do a lot of reading, before jumping in. Write and ask questions. Answer some good some bad. Possible a good book to have is by Bryan Litz and read.

I want to start reloading 300 WM for hunting purposes. What dies do you guys recommend for a starter? I have never reloaded belted cartridges. Thanks.
Barry
I too reload 300 WinMag among several other calibers. From reading your replies, I see Redding dies regularly suggested. Can anyone help me decipher any issues with RCBS dies? They seem to work for me across many calibers, but am I missing something here? Thanks

I too reload 300 WinMag among several other calibers. From reading your replies, I see Redding dies regularly suggested. Can anyone help me decipher any issues with RCBS dies? They seem to work for me across many calibers, but am I missing something here? Thanks
If the dies are just a straight FL sizing die. There no adjustment in setting the neck for tension. If you are cutting your neck down to make sure you have even thickness on all sides of the neck. There no adjustment. You can use a mandrel to change the I.D. of the neck. At the same time you are reducing the amount of tension, because there less material or thickness in the neck area. Which isn't a bad thing, but you can't change anything with a standard sizing die. So the bushing die allow you to make adjustment on neck tension partly or a mandrel. You can with a bushing die. The bushing generally come in 0.001 increase or decrease in I.D. sizes. So even if you don't cut your necks for thickness, you can adjust the I.D. of the neck with a different bushing. It allows you to increase or decrease, with the bushing. I see that RCBS has come out with a bushing die. They may have been for sometime, and hadn't seen it.
To get into a little deeper. If the necks isn't cut for even thickness. The neck will expand somewhat crooked will push the bullet at a small angle. It's not a great amount, but it's there. To me is doesn't make much difference where the uneven is inside or outside the neck area. Some people use a mandrel to push the uneven part of the neck to the outside of the neck. Some don't cut there necks, and other do. I feel you get better accuracies by cutting the necks.
Now let do the math. .308 is the Dia. of the bullet. Let say the neck thickness is a total of .030Th. for a total of .338 O.D. Now you want .002 to .003 in neck tension. So you are going to reduce the neck by that much. So really you would need a bushing to reduce the neck by that much. Generally there is spring back also. Depending the case and neck you would have reduce the neck O.D by a couple of ths. more. So you want to outside of the neck at .336" or so, but you may have to go to .334 or .335 to achieve the tension you want or need because of the spring back.
If you already have standard die set that ok too. You can use a mandrel to set the neck tension. Most or should I say some of us don't use the expander ball on the decapping rod either. It tends to stretch the brass. Hopefully the helps in explaining it. I am sure that other people can put pen to paper a lot better than me.