300 WM: Barnes 175 gr LRX / RL 26

charliehorse27

So I tried some RL 26 behind Barnes 175 gr LRX bullets today in my 300 WM and was astounded at the speeds. I didn't even hit max pressure and quit because it was making me nervous as it was. Results as follows:

77.8 3226
78.1 3215
78.4 3230
78.7 3222 SD 10
79.0 3203. ES 27
79.3 3229

I was surprised by the small difference in velocities despite a charge difference of 1.5 grains overall. Shots were fired over a Magnetospeed Sporter chrono. I'll probably be experimenting further with a charge in the 78.4-78.7 range.

I found the velocities quite amazing going from H1000 to RL22 with the 175 LRX. I didn't test for the difference in velocities as I worked up as you did though. Have found similar results with a RUM. I think the big cases are less effected by the smaller increases so I usually do .5 gr increments until pressure.

77 gr H1000 2907 FPS. Crunching powder and had to half seat and then set on the washing machine to settle the powder (Ruger factory box 3.34" COAL).
75.5 gr RL22 3150 FPS.

Ahh...if only Alliant was as temp stable.

Last edited:
I'm doing load development right now with RL26, Berger 210vld, ADG brass (new) and Federal 215M primers. My pressure test took me all the way to 78.5/79.0gr and a velocity of 3193fps (as measured by Magnetospeed) before definite pressure signs started showing up. CRAZY fast! However, the rifle (Savage/Criterion) did not like the upper end of the pressure range so I dropped back to 74.1gr which is giving me just slightly over 3,000fps. Have really nice, stable node in that range which is plenty fast enough.

So I tried some RL 26 behind Barnes 175 gr LRX bullets today in my 300 WM and was astounded at the speeds. I didn't even hit max pressure and quit because it was making me nervous as it was. Results as follows:

77.8 3226
78.1 3215
78.4 3230
78.7 3222 SD 10
79.0 3203. ES 27
79.3 3229

I was surprised by the small difference in velocities despite a charge difference of 1.5 grains overall. Shots were fired over a Magnetospeed Sporter chrono. I'll probably be experimenting further with a charge in the 78.4-78.7 range.

these are high velocities for sure but in a good way, I think, full potential .300 win mag, nothing eyebrow raising or "too good to be true" about these numbers. Congrats!

At 3229 FPS the 175 grain bullet is generating apx 4050 foot pounds of energy. That's right at the top end of what the .300 can do when everything's working right without being overpressure and with these newer powders especially I wouldn't be concerned. All this to just further reassure that these are pleasing results, not alarming results yet. You can have this cake and eat it too!

good call on exploring the range that's giving low es numbers and not just trying to see how much you can get away with, you seem to be exercising good prudence and proceeding with appropriate care.

one thing I'll add, for what it's worth, is that in my experience (and this with a .300 win also) the imr enduron powders also allow some pretty sweet velocities with no pressure signs and then when you do cross the line you really cross it, especially with 4955 for whatever reason. Going from no signs to a stiff bolt with one more grain. I don't know if that has anything to do with rl26 except that all of the above are "next generation" temp insensitive copper erasing double base powders so they sure have a lot in common, hopefully not that particular attribute.

I had a friend send me some Quickload data for me awhile back for this combo. QL shows 73gr MAX for a 64K limit. So, I would not be surprised if you are in 70+K "pressureland" here, ha. "Not that there's anything wrong with that", ha. I used some 35 Whelan Ackley rounds ( 250X and 200X) that had "zero" heavy bolt lift or flattened primers, but were solid 72K+ loads ( used new fireformed brass) for over 20 yrs. So, I'm not convinced high pressures are a "death sentence". Just saying. :) Good luck to you though and be watchful for "wonkiness" around 85 degrees. I had a .270Win/R26/160PT that shot swell ( 2930fps too!) at 45 deg. My groups went sour when it warmed up.

I had a friend send me some Quickload data for me awhile back for this combo. QL shows 73gr MAX for a 64K limit. So, I would not be surprised if you are in 70+K "pressureland" here, ha. "Not that there's anything wrong with that", ha. I used some 35 Whelan Ackley rounds ( 250X and 200X) that had "zero" heavy bolt lift or flattened primers, but were solid 72K+ loads ( used new fireformed brass) for over 20 yrs. So, I'm not convinced high pressures are a "death sentence". Just saying. :) Good luck to you though and be watchful for "wonkiness" around 85 degrees. I had a .270Win/R26/160PT that shot swell ( 2930fps too!) at 45 deg. My groups went sour when it warmed up.
Good points all around. If I'm not mistaken I've read that the reason many handloaders and load books can't realize the velocity of weatherby factory ammo is that the stuff is often loaded to 70-75kpsi

My old friend/gunsmith used to go to the Shot Show in Vegas every year. ( He's retired now and fighting illness) Anyhow, he had a Weatherby guy tell him that "many" of their hotter loads ran closer to 74K! ha, they "like" to sell their ammo. I have tried to reload some factory once fired 257WBY brass years back and w/o Accuracy Innovations Collet die it was impossible to resize, and this is with a Rock Chucker press, ha. I remember in Bob Hagel's book he used reformed Win brass for his 340Wby, as we all know Norma brass is softer. (IMHO Federal is worse!) isn't this a wonderful hobby?! :)

My old friend/gunsmith used to go to the Shot Show in Vegas every year. ( He's retired now and fighting illness) Anyhow, he had a Weatherby guy tell him that "many" of their hotter loads ran closer to 74K! ha, they "like" to sell their ammo. I have tried to reload some factory once fired 257WBY brass years back and w/o Accuracy Innovations Collet die it was impossible to resize, and this is with a Rock Chucker press, ha. I remember in Bob Hagel's book he used reformed Win brass for his 340Wby, as we all know Norma brass is softer. (IMHO Federal is worse!) isn't this a wonderful hobby?! :)
It is for this reason among others that when the day comes that I'm able to do a build it will probably be in .30-338 lapua ai. I like the .300 "supermags" and understand from others that even though the big .30-378 had greater capacity the difference in brass is so significant that it struggles to keep up let alone exceed the lapua case with any reloadable case life.

I haven't been able to shoot any more yet to test it further - currently trying to chase down an ongoing accuracy issue with this rifle first. I am somewhat nervous about what'll happen with it if it warms up any more. There's no guarantees my rifle will group well with this combination, either. I tried the LRX 175's with H1000 according to a recipe I found from someone who has the same rifle as I do, and it shot 1.5" in mine. But I think I have something else going on as the rifle's never shot considerably well. I've heard a lot of folks say the Barnes bullets (or any monolithic bullet) like to be pushed fast to be accurate. I use the TTSX in my 270 with fairly good accuracy. Have you guys found the LRX versions to be just as accurate as the TTSX?

@charliehorse27 Those #'s you got with the 175 LRX are just about what I got with this bullet and RL-26 in my 300 Win mag. I got 3225 ft/sec with a max safe load of 77 grs and RL-26. Accuracy was .75 MOA. Great load In my rifle. Like you I was astounded by the velocity #'s. Had to verify my chrony to believe the #'s.

77.8 3226
78.1 3215
78.4 3230
78.7 3222 SD 10
79.0 3203. ES 27
79.3 3229

I was surprised by the small difference in velocities despite a charge difference of 1.5 grains overall. Shots were fired over a Magnetospeed Sporter chrono. I'll probably be experimenting further with a charge in the 78.4-78.7

PM sent