300 WinMag Neck Sizer for 30-338

Utah Shotgunner

Is there any reason that I should not use a 300WinMag neck sizing die for the 30-338?

I will have to spin it in the lathe and shorten the base to get it to size the entire neck, but I can't think of any other issues?

I checked CofW and it looks like it should work.

Thanks,

Mike

I did just that and it works fine (I needed a die while my Redding dies were getting fixed). I simply took my RCBS neck die to a bench grinder.

I am thinking about doing the same to a Hornady FL sizer because it sizes the bases down more than the Reddings.

Thanks Doug.

I'll take it to my machinist buddy as that is alot of grinding.

Ok, to follow this up, can I use the .300WinMag seater die?

Again, I see no reason it will cause a problem, particularly with the long bullets I plan to use.

Yes...the 300 win. seater works fine. As far as the grinding, rotating it on a bench grinder works just fine (it is only a neck die, there is a little clearance there).

To clarify my last post, re. modifying the Hornady FL die: I meant I am going to grind off the top of the die (as opposed to the bottom of the neck die), where the neck is sized, as to create a lower body die.

If you're having problems reloading any belted magnum caliber, be sure to visit our website before grinding up your old resizing dies. There are much better solutions out there.

- Innovative

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.