300 Win Norma Brass

4t4mag

After waiting 4 months to get my new Norma 300 Win brass I am having some issues priming the brass. The primer pocket is really tight. In fact, its so tight that in order to get the primer to seat all the way in I have to really squeeze my RCBS priming tool. I did uniform all the primer pockets, however while squeezing so hard the plunger is leaving a half moon mark on the primer, is this ok? I have never had any issues with Norma brass, should I de-prime and return the brass, as the going rate is $140 per 100.

I had the same problem with recently purchased 300 win mag Norma brass. Curious to see what anyone has to say about this.

After waiting 4 months to get my new Norma 300 Win brass I am having some issues priming the brass. The primer pocket is really tight. In fact, its so tight that in order to get the primer to seat all the way in I have to really squeeze my RCBS priming tool. I did uniform all the primer pockets, however while squeezing so hard the plunger is leaving a half moon mark on the primer, is this ok? I have never had any issues with Norma brass, should I de-prime and return the brass, as the going rate is $140 per 100.

I had the same issue with recent lots of Norma brass in 300WM. I really like Norma brass and much prefer it over the other brands I have tried, but I haven't experienced this issue before I ended up having to prime with my Forster coaxial primer set up to seat the primers completely. No dents or other abnormalities. My RCBS did the same thing as yours. Having now shot this brass and being on the 6th reload, except for this seating difficulty, the brass is superb with excellent accuracy and ES. They are slightly easier to seat at this time. If I didn't have the Forster, I would likely have returned the brass. I am using Federal 215 primers. Winchesters seated a little easier.

I have had the same experience with a recent lot of 7 mag norma brass. Doing load work up for a friend, I discovered that 210M's and 215M's were crazy tight, but Winnie and CCI primers fit snug. after the intial fire forming ALL primers fit nice and snug for the remainder of load development. Hope that helps, in this day and age I would try and hold off sending brass back!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.