.300 Win Mag w\ 26" barrel, shortest and lightest suppressor recommendation?

mww982

I have a Browning X-Bolt Western Hunter LR with a 26" suppressor ready barrel. What is the shortest and lightest suppressor you would recommend for this rifle? It is a hunting rifle, mainly elk and mule deer so I could end up hunting in timber or open country depending on the hunt. Would I be better off sending the gun off to McGowen and get it re-barreled to 20 "or 22" to keep the length manageable?

Carrying the rifle in the woods for elk, I would go 20. My 26 inch barreled 300WMs launch the 215 Hybrids at around 3040. My recent build I went with 18 inch suppressed. The shorty launches the same load at 2750. With that velocity you can use ballistics ap to figure out the max distance based on the manufacturer terminal velocity for reliable expansion

Here's what Shooter says about the 215 Hydrids coming out at 2750.

Screenshot_20231114_164147_Shooter.jpg

26" barrel? I'm just concerned about adding 7-9" of length to the barrel and carrying in the woods on an elk hunt.
24" . I use asr brakes on my barrels, so it is quick for me to put my suppressor on if am going through branches

I'll add another vote for the TBAC 5. I've shot with folks that had them and I wish I did. They are an awesome size for hunting.

26" barrel? I'm just concerned about adding 7-9" of length to the barrel and carrying in the woods on an elk hunt.
You're trying to ride two horses with one saddle IMO.

If you're planning on hand carrying a rifle in the woods and think it's practical to actually take an off-hand shot with it, get something short, I mean like a 16" barrel. Whatever velocity is lost is made up for by the shot being close enough that you probably are struggling to line up a 2x power scope and the yardage is most likely only in double-digits. I built a 338 Federal just for this exact use - big heavy bullet and slow doesn't matter because it's so close it still smacks hard. Instead of paying to re-barrel a rifle not built for this use, I'd save up and get a complete second rifle. There are a lot of good factory choices around the $1,000 level that will come with threaded 18-20" barrels.

I also shoot a 30" CF barrel with a 12" TBAC 338 Ultra. But it's not like I carry it around with the can on it all the time - offhand shots are oh so very rare when carrying a 14# 54" long rifle in a pack 🤣 Takes all of 5 seconds to screw the can on when it's time to dig in with the bipod and set up. I use a TBAC brake permanently mounted on the rifle, and the can is very repeatable coming off and going on.

TBAC Ultra 7 has been my go-to for several years now. But I just got an AB Raptor that might take the top spot over.

You're trying to ride two horses with one saddle IMO.

If you're planning on hand carrying a rifle in the woods and think it's practical to actually take an off-hand shot with it, get something short, I mean like a 16" barrel. Whatever velocity is lost is made up for by the shot being close enough that you probably are struggling to line up a 2x power scope and the yardage is most likely only in double-digits. I built a 338 Federal just for this exact use - big heavy bullet and slow doesn't matter because it's so close it still smacks hard. Instead of paying to re-barrel a rifle not built for this use, I'd save up and get a complete second rifle. There are a lot of good factory choices around the $1,000 level that will come with threaded 18-20" barrels.

I also shoot a 30" CF barrel with a 12" TBAC 338 Ultra. But it's not like I carry it around with the can on it all the time - offhand shots are oh so very rare when carrying a 14# 54" long rifle in a pack 🤣 Takes all of 5 seconds to screw the can on when it's time to dig in with the bipod and set up. I use a TBAC brake permanently mounted on the rifle, and the can is very repeatable coming off and going on.

TBAC Ultra 7 has been my go-to for several years now. But I just got an AB Raptor that might take the top spot over.
I should be clearer then, I'm not necessarily actively hunting in the woods, but the rifle may be on my pack or shoulder while walking to the next ridge or bowl that we are going to set up on. Then head off on a stalk.

Do this. 👇