300 win mag velocity

Caleb85

I do not have a cono. But my shooting buddy dose and when ever i get a load worked up i take it to his range and cono it.So I just to the math in the mean time and I have been getting everything pretty close but I have a 300 sendero that I shot a group at 300 yards and with my math I shot five inches high so I stared to adjust my math in my ballistic calculator and for the dope to be " on the mark" I had to put in 3500 fps !!?? I'm shooting 77.8gr Retumbo and 210 berger . Could this be right?

I would have to say no. 3500 fps in a 300wm with that bullet would be too amazing. I would guess your are higher at your sight in point than you realize (i.e. if you were thinking you were dead on at 100 I bet you would actually be 1-1.5" high). That would make more sense to me. A 200+ grain bullet in a 300wm in a 26" pipe would be screaming at 3000 fps. I'm getting 2940 in a 26" tube with a 208 amax.

I would have to say no. 3500 fps in a 300wm with that bullet would be too amazing. I would guess your are higher at your sight in point than you realize (i.e. if you were thinking you were dead on at 100 I bet you would actually be 1-1.5" high). That would make more sense to me. A 200+ grain bullet in a 300wm in a 26" pipe would be screaming at 3000 fps. I'm getting 2940 in a 26" tube with a 208 amax.

I have 500 208 Amax's coming in the mail..would you mind sharing your data?

Another thing to consider is to make sure you know how higher the centerline of your scope is above the centerline of your bore. That will have an impact on your ballistic calculations.

Good Luck

I do not have a cono. But my shooting buddy dose and when ever i get a load worked up i take it to his range and cono it.
I'm glad to hear you don't have a coño. And I'm glad that most people on here don't know a whole lot of Spanish slang. Sounds like you're sharing some very personal information.

Now, your sentences are riddled with errors so I can only assume your math is also a little suspect. It might help to post up exactly which numbers you used in the ballistic calculator: Muzzle velocity, BC, zero range and sight height. How many clicks do you dial up to go from 200 yd to 300? 1 click is ~3/4" at 300 yards on most scopes, but not all!

One possibility is that you have a MRAD scope and you're dialing clicks as though you have MOA. One click on a MRAD scope is about 1.1" at 300 yards, which if you're dialing 10 clicks would put you 3-4" higher than expected.

Also check to see if your turrets are 1/4 moa or 1/2 moa per click. Using the wrong value there could easily put you 6-7" off at 300.

glad to hear you don't have a coño. And I'm glad that most people on here don't know a whole lot of Spanish slang. Sounds like you're sharing some very personal information.

Ya, because I did put that little wet back hash mark above the word didn't I?!!

Sorry if I made too many mistake spelling of a phone, to offend a Mexican speech teacher....well never mind I really could care less ..but I DO thank you for you info that was asked for. .have a good day!

glad to hear you don't have a coño. And I'm glad that most people on here don't know a whole lot of Spanish slang. Sounds like you're sharing some very personal information.

Ya, because I did put that little wet back hash mark above the word didn't I?!!

Sorry if I made too many mistake spelling of a phone, to offend a Mexican speech teacher....well never mind I really could care less ..but I DO thank you for you info that was asked for. .have a good day!

Did you really just say wet back???? Going all racist on a public forum is just bad taste.

Your right I shouldn't have said anything. I was just looking for advice and I wasn't looking for insults. But I was out of line..my apologies to El matador!

I have 500 208 Amax's coming in the mail..would you mind sharing your data?

I am loading Remington brass, 72.5 grains of reloader 22, Winchester Long Range Magnum primer, and the 208 Amax at 3.553 over all length. This has proven a great load out to 1000 yards and beyond. 2940 fps out of a Krieger 26" 5C barrel on a Savage Target Action.

I hear Retumbo is a great powder too but I haven't loaded it in my 300 wm.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.