Question on velocities 300 Win Mag

I would bet the RL17 85% load density volume is a huge contributor to this problem. At 85% the case load density will vary depending on how the rifle is being benched, how the rounds are being handled and so on. Add in temp and I can see velocities easily all over the place. The 300WM likes at least 95% load density IMHO and slower powders like RL22, RL25, RL26 (good luck in finding it) etc. I use RL17 in 300WSM which it seems to be made for on burn rate and column density. I would listen to the recommendations and try slower powder. I can tell you RL22 in my Sendero with 200 gr AB is the most accurate rifle I have that shoots inside 3/4" at 300 yards and holds well out to 600. Does well with RL25 and just started load work with RL26 and those results are even better since velocity gains were nice bonus. I tried the 190 LRAB and gave up due to inconsistent bullet dimensions. Staying with 200 AB and now trying 200ELDX. The 300WM does like the heavier bullets which is another consideration.

Alliant didn't show the 190 gr Accubond LR bullet, but they had a 190 Sierra listed. This was their data for that bullet:
upload_2019-6-8_20-1-30.png

So I just some RL 23 and H1000. I see in the Nosler load data a starting point H1000 but nothing for the RL 23. Does anyone have a good safe starting point? I'm thinking this will start to fix my ES issue. Also, resized all the necks to .002 and things are starting to look good.
6 grains less than H1000

Wolf, our recollections of the manuals are not the same. Hornady may not be what it was in the '70's but, in my opinion, they aren't comparably conservative. I feel the way you suggested about The Sierra manual...many times, ridiculously conservative. Oh well, I guess the lawyers need to get paid too.

Wolf, our recollections of the manuals are not the same. Hornady may not be what it was in the '70's but, in my opinion, they aren't comparably conservative. I feel the way you suggested about The Sierra manual...many times, ridiculously conservative. Oh well, I guess the lawyers need to get paid too.

Funny thing is that I only started loading 8 years ago. I'm only referencing current or nearly current manuals.
I'd take the Lee manual over them all, with nosler being a close second. IMO Berger load data is the most conservative. Chronograph, common sense, and keen observation should keep people safe.

Back to the original subject.....

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.