300 win mag subsonic

I understand what your saying with the fmj 65gr bullets. They are stable in flight but tumble on impact.

But where you state your using a 1:12 or 1:11 twist for Hornady 220 rd nose bullets sub sonic are you using a suppressor? You might be able to get away with it using a suppressor with round nose bullets since they are shorter, but using the 220 SMK which is much longer will be unstable and can cause a baffle strike with long match bullets that are unstable in flight. Just saying if your running at marginal stability rates it's worth putting a few shots down range on paper with the can off to ensure your seeing round holes to avoid destroying your can.

I haven't experienced the 208 amax tumbling on impact in soft media at subsonic velocitys so far. Ive just shot 2 coons with the 208 amax's and it just pin holed them and they ran 75-100yds before dying so I decided not to shoot animals with them and I'm going to give the maker bullets try. I haven't tried the Barnes but doubt it would be much different.

the 220 gr RNFB (interlock) are in the 1:11 twist suppressed 308win with green dot powder (remember I live and shoot above 7000ft too), crazy quiet- no they don't cycle a semi auto-- the long heavy smk or amax would have to be fast twist like in 300bo (1:8 or 1:7) to stabilize--I use the berger stabilizer calculator to figure out if they are stable, then test 3-5 on paper without the suppressor before screwing it on --gotta be safe--I also start high in speed on my reloads (1200 or so) then work down till I get to around 1050fps and find an accuracy node--you work backwards with subs so you don't stick ma bullet with too slow of a speed or create a nasty pressure spike

Thanks for clarifing.

I'm running a 300blk out 16" Bbl with a 1:7 twist so maybe that's why my bullets didn't tumble on impact with the 208's

Even with a 1:7 twist my rifle would not stabilize the 220SMK's at subsonic velocitys when I tried them with the can off. My elevation is 1100ft.

OP another option is setting up your rifle as a switch barrel if subsonic hunting is going to be a high priority and you would like to use one scope and receiver. That would keep cost down, you will need another bolt and a 300 blk out barrel. If you set them up as a remage with a barrel nut you could by the tools and do it yourself, then possibly have your current barrel machined for the remage setup.

If 308 is easier that would likely be a little easier to find loads for

thank you all for your Input . not easy to decide .here i would get hard times to get 300 blk brass - so all isn t that easy
Can you get .223/5.56 brass or ammo there? If so, you can make your own .300 BLK brass VERY easily. I've been making my own for years.

Here's the jig I use. I also use a cheap DrillMaster mini chop saw.

https://www.zepreloading.com/store/p3/300_AAC_Blackout_case_cutting_jig.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-in-mini-bench-top-cut-off-saw-62136.html

I've loaded 300 wm subs for ***** and giggles. With that case capacity you have you be very careful that you don't get a detonation instead of a burn when it comes to the powder. The only powder ive found to do this is trail boss. Trail boss is very safe and was designed for low pressure cartridges and with low press you get low velocity. You can use trail boss and it will work ok, getting a bullet to stabilize is another thing the longer heavy bullets work better because the more case capacity you use up with bullet the more consistent I've found trail boss to burn and certainly helps get your velocity down where you need it. 220 smk may stabilize buy a 210+ grain flat base round nose works best. I've used my 300 to shoot subs and take a couple coyotes that came in really close and with the subs you can do it without spooking everything within a mile plus I run suppressed so it's pretty darn quiet. Having a sub sonic 300wm has its place, esp if you get a target of opportunity and don't wanna scare off your game or carry two different guns. Or if your hunting close to your wife and dont wanna spook her deer over a coyote

hello all
just did testing
cartridge : rws
primer : fed 215 m
Powder : vit n32c - 12 grains
bullet : 180 gr Sierra btsp
OAL : 84,6 mm
surpressor ; Hausken xtrem
rifle : remington 700 Long Range

no filling . just powder - bullets molycoated

sence or not -it was big fun to fire them . as i fired the first it was just fun .
the guys came over and asked what i m Shooting - and as i said thats a 300 wm
they was shakin head and couldnt beleave it .
no Problems with this load :)

quicload say s cartridge filled for 32,4 %

hello all
just did testing
cartridge : rws
primer : fed 215 m
Powder : vit n32c - 12 grains
bullet : 180 gr Sierra btsp
OAL : 84,6 mm
surpressor ; Hausken xtrem
rifle : remington 700 Long Range

no filling . just powder - bullets molycoated

sence or not -it was big fun to fire them . as i fired the first it was just fun .
the guys came over and asked what i m Shooting - and as i said thats a 300 wm
they was shakin head and couldnt beleave it .
no Problems with this load :)

quicload say s cartridge filled for 32,4 %
Glad my googlefoo load data helped.

hy all
again me - i was shooting a lots with this load and figured its really accurate with filling -
without 5 shots grouped inside one inch
with filling bullets touched each other
distance 100 m
diffrence to supersonic is 2 feet

as i said before - sence or not make a 300 win mag subsonic - its pretty much fun
thanks all for the infos and help

Biggest + to suppressing a 300 WinMag are recoil reduction and non directionality.
If you want to be quiet, you must be subsonic. 300 BO with hornady cartridges is deadly on medium game to 200yards.