SubSonic 300 Blackout

I had a bad experience with TB - using starting load data from Hodgdon data that aligned with the case fill method, I loaded some 150gn 30-06 and right out of the gate it was more than 1,000 FPS fast. Should have been 1061 fps with 13.3gn, maxing out at 1477 fps with 19gn.... first shot was 2447 FPS. I could hear the powder moving in the case so it wasn't compressed, I pulled a bullet and the donuts were all intact, so no idea what happened.

After that never tried it in 300 BLK, figured there are enough powders that won't do weird things like TB with the donut shape.

Have you used it for subs before? I would be up for trying it, just never got back around to it after that one weird day.

Last edited:
I had a bad experience with TB - using starting load data from Hodgdon data that aligned with the case fill method, I loaded some 150gn 30-06 and right out of the gate it was more than 1,000 FPS fast. Should have been 1061 fps with 13.3gn, maxing out at 1477 fps with 19gn.... first shot was 2447 FPS. I could hear the powder moving in the case so it wasn't compressed, I pulled a bullet and the donuts were all intact, so no idea what happened.

After that never tried it in 300 BLK, figured there are enough powders that won't do weird things like TB with the donut shape.

Have you used it for subs before? I would be up for trying it, just never got back around to it after that one weird day.
I have used trailboss for 300 blackout using the hornady .309 90gr. Xtp pistol bullets

Guess I will be going back there, I was looking for trailboss for subs
Like I said, I settled on 6.8 gr for 200 gr Maker subs, but I would start at ~7 gr and work down. Reason I say this is I have been told that 700x has changed several times over the years. My powder is a batch from 1965, and will likely have a different burn rate than any newer 700x.

I have used Lilgun for 180grn 30-30 bullets and AA1680 for 215-220 bullets and they run/group well as subs in my 10.5" barreled AR. When I can get some of these cool specialty bullets like the Hornady subx I will try them out.

I have used Lilgun for 180grn 30-30 bullets and AA1680 for 215-220 bullets and they run/group well as subs in my 10.5" barreled AR. When I can get some of these cool specialty bullets like the Hornady subx I will try them out.
Hornady SubX bullets suck, they are notoriously inconsistent in how they expand.

Recent Posts