300 Win Mag seating depth

aythya

I am reloading for my Savage Weather Warrior 116 in 300 Win Mag.

Based on a 180 grain Nosler Accubond the COAL is 3.580 touching the lands (split neck case method).
The detachable magazine will only allow a 3.48 COAL.
The recommended max COAL is 3.340.

Will the .100 jump affect the accuracy and if so, does anyone have any suggestions to increase accuracy while still using the DBM?

Thanks,

I shoot a Savage 112 300WM with a jump of .135 to fit in the mag. Accuracy is .75" at 100 yds so it is doable. You just need to play around with your seating depth at or near mag length and see what your rifle likes.

Chris

After shooting many thousands of rounds at paper targets, I feel too much emphasis is placed on how far the bullet is from the rifling. Any cartridge will have several seating depths that are accurate, it's all due to barrel oscillation, the distance the bullet is to the rifling changes this which effects accuracy. A large bullet jump is NOT detrimental to accuracy, my Weatherby cartridges all have large jumps and are exceptionally accurate, benchrest techniques are NOT gospel or needed for accuracy.
I would suggest you load to your mag length, try .010" shorter for some room to play and see how accurate it shoots, if not to par, try seating DEEPER in .005" increments until you find an accurate COAL.

Cheers.
gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.