.300 Win Mag seating depth

rad30277

Hey, y'all. I'm not sure this post belongs here as it may be more of a gunsmithing issue. I have an accurized Winchester model 70 in .300 Win Mag with a 26" barrel. I'm currently using 180 gr Accubonds and I'd like to play with the freebore and possibly some 210 LRABs or maybe even 215 Bergers, but I'm limited by the magazine well. I'm currently having to seat the 180 ABs .200" off of the lands due to the stock well. I have heard that it's possible to swap the magazine well for a larger cartridge, providing the stock will allow it. Has anyone here heard of such? If so, what cartridge well and/or where can I find the information? Thanks in advance for any info.

I just put a PTG CIP length (3.85 inch mag, 3.75 inch COAL!) magwell in my project Rem 700 300wm, in the factory ADL/SPS stock. I pillar bedded it at the same time. I haven't wrung it out yet, but it's shooting 3/4 inch, 5-shot groups with factory WW 180 gr PP's. So yeah - you can definitely user longer rounds, with a little work.

pacifictoolandgauge.com

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.