300 Win Mag New Lapua Brass Load Data

Zach_22

Ok I'm relatively new to reloading started in 2019. I am working up a load for my sako s20 300 win mag. 1-10 twist I would like to use my new Lapua cases, H1000, and Hornady 200gr ELD-X. I got data on bullet and powder but that Lapua case has considerably less case capacity that my Hornady and light Norma brass. 3.3 percent less compared to Hornady brass. I figured on sticking to manuals C.O.L. And reducing min Hornady brass loads 3.3 percent with Lapua brass and working it up. What are you guys thoughts?

What is the current load you are doing with the Hornady brass?
I haven't worked up a load with the Hornady brass I have some and used it to measure case capacity compared to Lapua I was going to use Hornadys load data for bullet and powder and just start at min load or reduce it a touch to make up for case difference here is the data at bottom using h1000
BB630852-8F4C-48B3-99CA-31BD197B4A70.jpeg

Ok I'm relatively new to reloading started in 2019. I am working up a load for my sako s20 300 win mag. 1-10 twist I would like to use my new Lapua cases, H1000, and Hornady 200gr ELD-X. I got data on bullet and powder but that Lapua case has considerably less case capacity that my Hornady and light Norma brass. 3.3 percent less compared to Hornady brass. I figured on sticking to manuals C.O.L. And reducing min Hornady brass loads 3.3 percent with Lapua brass and working it up. What are you guys thoughts?

do you have a chronograph? If not, stop all your doing and get one then proceed

Id start at 73 or 74 and build a quick ladder up to wherever you are comfortable and look for pressure. Im loading 77 gr of H1000 in Hornady cases with a 200 ELD-X, getting 2950 fps and no pressure signs. These loads are greatly longer than factory but Im shooting a single shot so its all good

do you have a chronograph? If not, stop all your doing and get one then proceed
I do have a chronograph and I switched from nosler to Lapua brass in my 22-250 and had a touch higher velocities with it but it didn't have a huge case capacity difference like this 300 brass does

Id start at 73 or 74 and build a quick ladder up to wherever you are comfortable and look for pressure. Im loading 77 gr of H1000 in Hornady cases with a 200 ELD-X, getting 2950 fps and no pressure signs. These loads are greatly longer than factory but Im shooting a single shot so its all good
Ok I'll do that and I checked my chamber and even know them sako s20 say they leave extra room in the mag for reloaders but it's still not gonna get me close enough to the lands but starting out should I stick to the manual COL to start and work to pressure or should I start working closer to the lands now? I also heard the eldx bullets aren't as sensitive to bullet jump but I suppose it gonna be whatever my rifle likes

I'd use your chronograph and when you get to 2800 you're pretty much there.

Remember, pressure equals speed and speed equals pressure.......

The heavier brass will get your speed up quicker than the thinner brass

Zach, one other thing, in order to compare case volume, you have to used "fired" in your rifle, unsized cases
Oh ok the Hornady brass I measured was fired and the Lapua was new out of the box would have to check but it was over 8 grain different and that would explain a lot of that difference being unfired thanks a lot I didn't think of that

Last edited:
Oh ok the Hornady brass I measured was fired and the Lapua was new out of the box would have to check but it was over 10 grain different and that would explain a lot of that difference being unfired thanks a lot I didn't think of that
Don't be surprised if they are within one grain, or even flipflop.

Last edited:
How has the capacity difference been determined?
If you have only weighed the cases, then filled with water and used fired and new, then this will not be acceptable.
In all of my 300WM, H1000 tops out at 79g as absolute max pressure. The velocity of this across several 300's is NOT predictable.
I have pressure measuring equipment and the adage that speed equals pressure is not absolute.
If it was, then HBN coated bullets would be just as fast as regular non coated bullets at the same pressure. Bore smoothness, number of grooves and other factors, not just pressure, determine muzzle velocity.

Cheers.

How has the capacity difference been determined?
If you have only weighed the cases, then filled with water and used fired and new, then this will not be acceptable.
In all of my 300WM, H1000 tops out at 79g as absolute max pressure. The velocity of this across several 300's is NOT predictable.
I have pressure measuring equipment and the adage that speed equals pressure is not absolute.
If it was, then HBN coated bullets would be just as fast as regular non coated bullets at the same pressure. Bore smoothness, number of grooves and other factors, not just pressure, determine muzzle velocity.

Cheers.
Thanks for the info yea I used fired Hornady compared to new Lapua that just came out ic a lot of other factors to consider