.300 Win Mag loads with 180 Accubond

TackDriv3r

I have been using RL-22 out of the Rem. 700 / 26 inch 1:10 twist barrel with RL_22 and 180 Accubonds for deer sized game. I'll be hunting nilgai soon and those critters are pretty tough.
As of now I am running out of RL-22 and I like this powder due to high velocity, 3,160 fps, but its not temp stable and seeking to use Hodgdon's line of powders or other temp stable powders. Powders I have on hand is H4831, H4831SC and H1000. What are you guys running with those powders?

H4831sc will work with the 180g Accubond. You will not get the speed of RL22 though. My loads were at least 65 fps faster with the RL22 and just as accurate.
I never tried the H1000 with the 180g Accubond because the RL22 worked so well.
I know Hodgdon said that H1000 was the most accurate powder used with 180 G Accubonds.
RL22 and the 180g Accubond seems to be one of the best loads ever made. I've yet to see a 300 Win Mag that does not like it.
RL22 is pretty popular and I've not seen it out of stock anytime I've looked for powders or primers for quite a while.
Where are you located?

either h4831 or h1000 will top around 3100 fps with a 180 in a 300win. I'd look at rl23 if you want more temp stable with Alliant powder. Possibly the slowest of the new IMR series too...

H4831sc will work with the 180g Accubond. You will not get the speed of RL22 though. My loads were at least 65 fps faster with the RL22 and just as accurate.
I never tried the H1000 with the 180g Accubond because the RL22 worked so well.
I know Hodgdon said that H1000 was the most accurate powder used with 180 G Accubonds.
RL22 and the 180g Accubond seems to be one of the best loads ever made. I've yet to see a 300 Win Mag that does not like it.
RL22 is pretty popular and I've not seen it out of stock anytime I've looked for powders or primers for quite a while.
Where are you located?
In the hot dog summer days of Texas. I agree that RL-22 is a good combo with 180 AB, especially for my 300 Winny.

I used to run 180AB in my .300 win mag with a 26" Krieger 1:10 barrrel. 73.5 grains of RL-22 got me 2985fps. I don't have that rifle anymore, and am currently doing load dev on a new R700 Long Range .300 win mag. It seems to like 78.8 grains of H1000 with the 180AB. Getting just under .25" clover leafs, and plan to adjust seating depth from here. Going to the range this weekend to chrono and get an idea of velocity.

I'm in Texas as well, so temp stability isn't as big of a deal to me but when I bought this rifle all I read about was H1000 being the new best thing so I bought that over the RL-22 I was familiar with. As long as velocities are close to 3k it should prove to be a winner.

I used to run 180AB in my .300 win mag with a 26" Krieger 1:10 barrrel. 73.5 grains of RL-22 got me 2985fps. I don't have that rifle anymore, and am currently doing load dev on a new R700 Long Range .300 win mag. It seems to like 78.8 grains of H1000 with the 180AB. Getting just under .25" clover leafs, and plan to adjust seating depth from here. Going to the range this weekend to chrono and get an idea of velocity.

I'm in Texas as well, so temp stability isn't as big of a deal to me but when I bought this rifle all I read about was H1000 being the new best thing so I bought that over the RL-22 I was familiar with. As long as velocities are close to 3k it should prove to be a winner.
I do like H1000, it has good case fill and temp stable more than RL-22. Let me know how the velocity is once you chrono it. I have a couple of pounds of that H1000

I do like H1000, it has good case fill and temp stable more than RL-22. Let me know how the velocity is once you chrono it. I have a couple of pounds of that H1000
In my Remington 700 LR .300 win mag with a 26" 1:10 twist factory barrel, I was getting 1/2moa or better today. Base to tip measured 3.550" with Nosler brass, Fed 215, 78.8 grains of H1000 and the 180 grain Accubond. Avg velocity today was 2963 fps. It was about 71 degrees outside in Dallas, TX- not sure of elevation, but probably between 700-750ft above sea level. I was sitting in the shade on a bench shooting from a Caldwell lead sled. Chrono used was a Magneto Speed v3.

No signs of pressure, and I can hear the powder in the case if I shake the loaded rounds. I'm sure I could load hotter, but after 79 grains the other day the groups started to open up, so I'm hesitant to do so. Part of me thinks I may even dial it back to 78.6 grains- that was showing slightly tighter groups than what I got today with 78.8 after I finished with the chrono and removed it from my barrel to shoot for groups.

FWIW- the box for factory Nosler Trophy Grade 180 grain ammo lists 2950 fps at the muzzle, so this seems like a pretty comparable load if I ever find myself out of components or in a place where I cannot bring my own handloads.

That seems really slow for the 180 Accubond and H1000. I'm pushing the 200 gr ELD-X faster than that with all the same barrel specs, primer, 79g of H1000 and Win brass in temps from 40-64 degrees.
I'm getting 3126 with the Accubonds and Rl22 (75g) and around 3075 fps with the H1000.(78G)

I also use a magnetospeed. Nosler shows 79 g of H1000 should get you in the ballpark of 3080 fps.

Something seems off.

That seems really slow for the 180 Accubond and H1000. I'm pushing the 200 gr ELD-X faster than that with all the same barrel specs, primer, 79g of H1000 and Win brass in temps from 40-64 degrees.
I'm getting 3126 with the Accubonds and Rl22 (75g) and around 3075 fps with the H1000.(78G)

I also use a magnetospeed. Nosler shows 79 g of H1000 should get you in the ballpark of 3080 fps.

Something seems off.

I'm not an expert reloader by any stretch of the imagination, but these are my numbers that my tools gave me. Any ideas on what could be the source of something being off? I'm willing to play with seating depths but I don't see that giving me another 150 fps or so...

I also don't know that I care for the extra speed- under .5 moa and close velocity to readily available factory ammo are positives in my eye, for now anyway. Tighter groups and more speed would be nice someday probably.

I should also mention that this is a new factory rifle with exactly 71 rounds down the tube. So probably still settling in.

I get 3050 fps(also use a magnetospeed) out of 80.5gr of H1000 over a CCI 250, on a 22" barrel with 180 gr Nbt's , I tested hotter loads without pressure signs, but this load is under 1/2 moa in three shot groups so I leave it alone. I use the same charge and primer for 175gr LRX (in case you want an even tougher bullet) with identical velocities and nearly as good groups, it's my rifles happy place

I bet with your longer barrel you'll pick up that extra 100 fps over what I get

I have not used H1000 with the Accubond yet, its my next powder to work with. It's got good case fill as well. Thanks

Try ram shot magnum. Real temp stabile. Use it in all of my 300s and my customers. Used r l but too unstable. Ball powder and meters well. Get good velocities as well. My go to powder.

Something seems off.

UPDATE: I've put another 84 rounds down the tube for load dev on a few other bullet options, which brings my total to 155 now. I think the extra rounds are helping to settle in the barrel and velocities have picked up a bit. It was about 20 degrees cooler today while at the range than my last trip out, and where I was getting 2963 fps with the 180AB and 78.8gr H1000, today with the same load I was getting 3035 fps.

Also, I tried out a new brand of brass (to me)- ADG. I mocked up some loads exactly replicating what I was testing with the Nosler brass, and results were identical for same charge weights in both brands of brass. That was pretty cool to see. I only chronographed the 180AB load though- I wanted to see if the ADG brass would show signs of pressure before I just ran it with the same load as with the Nosler brass. I only fired one shot with that load in the ADG brass, but the chrono confirmed what I was seeing on paper- there was only 3fps difference between the two brands of brass and my POI was the same! Pretty cool.

That load seems like a winner- and I tested some BTs as well for grins because I have a few hundred of them sitting on the bench. Very similar results to the ABs, so I'll play with both the AB and the BT seating depth to try to squeeze the groups down a bit more. AND, Hammer bullets just sent me some copper I ordered so now I get to play with those...bullets should not be allowed to look as good as those do, btw.