300 win mag 185 berger 4831sc help?

adam7mm

Loaded from 70gr to 73gr in .5 gr increments , best accuracy was 71.5 at .378 . ? is I don't know how fast I'm going at 71.5 seeing as I don't have a chrony , 73 showed no signs of pressure , can I go higher, the berger manual says 73.2 is max. What I mean is a higher node? Any help would be great! Thanks

Try doing a max charge test. Single shot going up by 0.5 until you see some swipes. This way you know what your max charge is for your barrel, brass, primer, powder, and bullet combo.

If you are having good groups, stay with that weight. If you are looking for more speed try H1000, When I tried to get the most speed out of H4831sc my groups opened way up, and then started getting very light swipes. I was able to the speed and grouping I wanted with H1000.

Thanks, maybe I can find some h1000 i don't have to many gun shops around , don't like paying for the shipping and hazmat bs when ordering!

I have used 4831 years ago in the 300 win. But I too found H-1000 to be a great choice in all aspects for the case size of the 300.

May I ask what you will be doing with the 185's? I shoot and hunt a lot with the Bergers and the 185's is not one of my choices for the best terminal performance from a 300 win.

Just a little heads up.

Jeff

Thanks, I will be hunting nc whitetails at least that is the main purpose , but also shooting to 1k is the goal , I mainly hunt large power lines with trees on both sides so wind is very little concern. I wanted to use the 210 vld but couldn't find any so I garbed a box of 185's.

Ok, I think you would like the 210's better and the 215's even better yet. I feel the 185's are a little light for the velocity you will get from a 300 win with them. Expect lots of expansion and quick under 500. But past 600 they will probably be ok in my opinion. There could be some 215's coming available in the next few months. Keep your eyes open, they are great in the 300 wins we have ran them in.

Jeff

Thanks , what are the vel for 185 and 210's , and when are 215 coming out?

From a 26" 300 win

I have no 185 first hand velocity numbers but would guess around 3100

210's should be 2820 or so

215's we have seen 2900 plus from a 26 and 3035 from a 28" barrel.

The 215's have been out for a couple years now, but hey have become one of if not the most popular 30 cal bullet and are bought up as fast as they release a new run. I have heard a new run and release of the 215's in late Jan or Feb.

I use these bullets a lot. The caution is that when you choose a fragmenting bullet you need to use heavier offerings so after expansion and fragmenting you have some bullet left to carry on. A lighter bullet with higher muzzle velocities will aggravate this situation if not placed well for the bullet construction and design characteristics.

Jeff

78.3 gr 4831sc cci250 .025 jump 3170 fps. No pressure till 79.0. This accuracy node is well over 1 grain wide.

I have lots of throat erosion thus more case capacity. Be careful.

Attachments

• 2013-12-30 20.49.07.jpg
    2013-12-30 20.49.07.jpg
    285.4 KB · Views: 199
I agree, I would go for h1000, or even try retumbo. I also agree that you may want to step it up to the 215s. I think right around 2900 is pry what your lookin at. And since bullets and powder are tuff to come by these days, I would find the max and then start shooting groups working down. I like to find the max in one shot .5 grain increments. As said above. And once you get a crony I found they are usually close, but i will take what it says, what my ballistic chart says, and what im actually shooting and that is what gives me the most accurate velocity. I found the crony will get me close for a chart, then use what I actually shoot to fine tune the chart to get a more accurate velocity. I like to use the crony more for variation to tell me spread of high and low, rather then a super accurate gauge for velocity, but this may just be my experience with the crony Im using.

Great stuff, thanks guys, very helpful! I'm going to the range today to see what the drop is a 500 with the 71.5 so I can figure vel, thanks again

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.