300 Weatherby

shooterpunk2

Just got a Weatherby Vanguard Sub MOA in 300 Weatherby and I have never loaded for this caliber. Anyone have any good elk loads? I am thinking of using the 200 grain accubond or 200 grain TTSX.

Also does anyone know what the Max length the ammo can be and still fit in the magazine?

Thanks a ton fellas

3.580" is about as far as you will get. A healthy load of H1000 or H4831 under a 180 or 200grn accubond will do the trick for elk.

I have this same rifle. I just mic'ed my magazine the other day for a project I'm planning, 3.589" is what I got. So yeah, around 3.580". Good thing you're planning to reload, I have had terrible luck with factory 300 Wby rounds. I've shot in the 1/4 moa area with this rifle with hand loads, but it has never shot any factory loads well. With one exception the 180 Hornady SP that Weatherby loads. It shoots it to about 1/2 moa. The bad thing about a Weatherby, or at least my Weatherby, is that it doesn't seem to want to shoot high BC bullets very well. I get my best groups with 180gr Nosler Partition and 80.5 grains of RL22, in my rifle that's good for 3120 fps. That charge is over the maximum, so work up to it. Oh, and good luck finding F215 primers... I haven't found any in years. That's one of the reasons I just had a 6.5x284 built.

And another thing, if you'll change that factory stock out for a straight comb stock, you'll get way less muzzle rise. Not that you should need a fast follow up shot with this rifle, but if you do, you'll be able to. Get steal rings and bases too. I've got Warn bases, and Burris rings.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have a custom Rem 700 chambered for 300 Wby Mag. Mine loves Vhit N165 and a 180 gr Scirocco bullet. It is what I take for elk when I have a rifle tag. I have popped a few whitetails with this combo and it works great without blowing a fist sized exit hole.

Yeah, don't let anyone tell you that 300 Wby is too much gun for whitetail. I've killed a ton of 'em with mine, and never lost one ounce of usable meat. Now, I wouldn't use it where I could only take a 50 yard shot, but if I could only take a 50 yard shot, I'd have my bow in my hand anyway. The closest shot I've taken on a whitetail is 170 yards, on a small bodied SE Oklahoma buck 120lbs dressed. No loss of meat, he didn't blow up like I threw a grenade at him. It's all about bullet selection and shot placement. Personally I think 300 Wby is a good choice for the one gun guy. Short of squirrel and rabbits, there is not much in North America you can't do with it. Hell, there's not much anywhere in the world you can't do with it.

I am loading my 300 wby for the first time and am having some problems. While on the down stroke of the seating die I noticed that the bullet was being held in the die, so it looked like it was being pulled out. So I thought if I just crank down on the die a little more it would crimp a little more and all would be good. NOT SO MUCH!!! All I ended up doing was smashing the brass were the neck and sholder meet. I can't seem to stop this from hapening. I even thought that maybe I have a bad set of dies? Using Hornedy dies. Any info would be apreciated.

We have two of them that really like the 210 berger wth h1000. Berger will send u the data.

My smithy told me - don't bother looking for the lands & groves because weatherby uses a very long throat on the chambers. Lots of bullet jump! Can't as I ever have tried to find them.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts