300 weatherby rebarrel

You may have talked me into the bergers. What twist would you recommend for the 190s and 210s? Anyone else have thoughts on this?

The 210s would make a great long range elk bullet. Only problem is, don't hit him in the shoulder if the shot is under 300 yds. My thinking on this is, if I am confident that I can hit one in the vitals @ 800 yds, then avoiding the shoulder @ close ranges should be a piece of cake.

As far as our little whitetails around here, I would aim for the shoulder every time!!!

I agree with Bill on the 210s and shot placement. I use a 1:10 twist on all my 30 cal barrels. I find it will shoot all bullet weights well. 180-220 grain is where it will shoot the best. I like a #5 fluted barrel on a hunting rifle but if you want to carry more weight the heavier the better. I have a wichester model 70 with a 29" lilja 1 1/4" straight taper. I use it to shoot prarrie dogs and F class so yes a winchester action is strong enough to support a heavy barrel.

My straight factory 300 Winchester Magnum Model 70 Laredo with Vari-XIII 4.5X14X50 Tactical scope on H S Precision stock weigh a tad over 11 lbs. The barrel is of varmint taper. I'm 5'10 and weighs 165 lbs. soaking wet and I carry this thing up and down the hill all day. I admit that by the end of the day the rifle weight feel more like 11 tons but I like the rifle balance and shooting a 300 full power load is manageable. Besides if you want to shoot long range you need that extra weight on your rifle.

210 gr Bergers or the new SMK's, long range 300 Wby carry gun. I would choose a 1 in 11 twist, about 28 inches long, straight taper with somewhere around a .8 inch muzzle. H1000 Fed215GM's, .005 to .010 in the lands

300 Weatherby is a great round, especially if you have one that has much less freebore. All that freebore Aids in getting the bullet started into the barrel crooked, so find a gunsmith that can throat the barrel to fit the bullet seating depth with the round that you supply. I have done this with several other weatherby calibers and have achieved 200-300 fps over the std weatherby chambering and outstanding accuracy. Anyone that has not had a Weatherby chambering without all the freebore is in for a real treat the first time they try it!

I suggest that you contact Pac Nor on this project, because I think that they have a reamer with no freebore and can use a seperate throater to match the seating depth of the bullet that you supply them.

For extreme accuracy, I would not go smaller than a #5 taper and use a muzzle break, also!

Good luck!

No Mercy, I have never heard of a 300 Weatherby winning any long range rifle matches! You will find the 300 Winchester magnum accomplishing this feat OK.

Now I have a 300 Winchester magnum (2 rifles) and one is a model 70 pre 64 the other a Browning made in Belgium. They are both very accurate. I get a top velocity of 3140fps shooting 180 grain Sierra BT bullets, it has shot groups under .700 from the bench at 100 yards, with it's factory barrel and handloaded IMR-4831 ammo in the model 70 rifle.

I would rechamber to the 300 Win mag caliber if your wanting to shoot smaller groups for starters. There are half dozen or so very good barrel makers around. I would give Dan Lilja a call or Hart Barrles.

I would also get the best stock available and let a quailified expert in setting up such a rifle for you. You will need to blue print the action etc and there are several fellows on this forum that can do that kind of work. Then your results will be true to form. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tracer, go to pa1000yard.com and click on the results and you see how popular the 300 wby is.
Drags

I agree with Drags. I have been loyal to the 300 win mag a long time but I would never turn my nose at a 300 weatherby. If you are well set up to shoot the weatherby there is no reason to change.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.