300 Weatherby and 240 SMKs could this be correct?

toddconley

I shot some steel last night at 4 and 500. Dope @ 500 was just a little shy of 8 moa. Hiting the top of a 12"X12" square gong. Little under three inch group. SO I think it was probably more like 7.5 or 7.75 to be dead center. These are yds by the way. I don't have a chronograph. Next thing on my list. I came to work this morning and entered the data into the handy online ballistics calculator. Working backwords with the dope and get somewhere around 2850 for ft per sec with 240 matchkings. Can that be correct. It has 30 in Hart tube on hart single shot action. So they should be some higher than normal but, 2850 with a 240 gr is moving along pretty well. Load is 72.3 RL 22. What do you think?
Thanks,
T

Todd,

You should not have a problem achieving 2850 and in fact I bet your numbers are spot on. I use exactly 70.0gr of RL-22 out of my 300WBY heavy gun (30 inch krieger) with the 240's and I am shooting at exactly 2790fps. Thus with the additional 2.3 gr of powder, you could certainly be shooting the pills 60fps faster then I am shooting them out of my barrel.

By the way, I truly believe this is one of the best bullet-cartage combinations. Not only does my gun regularly shoot in the .2's at 100 yds if I do my part, but it's also an amazingly accurate 1000 yd varmint gun…

Rem

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.