.300 Wby taken to next level?

Gary on the wby's I see the best results being had by setting the barrel back atleast 1.25", 3/4" at the chamber and 1/2" on the crown to relieve it of any fishmouthing the crown may have. Or 1" at the chamber and 1/8-1/4" at the crown for a clean up, usually they are good for atleast 7-800 more rounds.

Gary on the wby's I see the best results being had by setting the barrel back atleast 1.25", 3/4" at the chamber and 1/2" on the crown to relieve it of any fishmouthing the crown may have. Or 1" at the chamber and 1/8-1/4" at the crown for a clean up, usually they are good for atleast 7-800 more rounds.

your probably right, and that case is in an overbore condition from the start. You'll end up with a 24" barrel, but doubt you'll see more than 100fps loss in velocity. I would slug the barrel to see if it has much errosion at the muzzel. Of
course you'd want to slug the barrel before doing anykind of barrel rework just to see if it's worth the effort to save it. The one thing going for it is that the case neck and shoulders tend to keep a lot of the heat out of the barrel throat and free bore area
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.